Syncing project tasks with Task lists RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am syncing tasks from microsoft project file to SharePoint tasks list. However, there is a possibility that my project file will exceed more than 1000 tasks over time and one of the limitation with SharePoint & Project syncing is that the project file that am syncing with SharePoint can't exceed more than 1000 tasks. Microsoft says that I need to use a brand new project file to sync the 1000+ tasks but what about the dependencies? say for eg: For task 1001, if I have a dependency on task 1000, do I have to set up the dependencies in SharePoint?

Please help,

techie

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 7:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

A suggestion is that you can create a custom timer job in SharePoint Server side, it will run periodically to do the syncing. If the tasks are too many, in the code behind the timer job, we can sync a sub set of tasks each time.

By doing this, it will not hit the limitation of syncing between Project and Task list.

About how to work with timer job:

http://www.codeproject.com/Tips/634208/Create-and-Deploy-Custom-Timer-Job-Definition-in-S

Thanks 

Patrick Liang

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Dennis Guo Friday, May 8, 2015 6:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dennis Guo Monday, May 11, 2015 1:35 AM
    Wednesday, May 6, 2015 1:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

A fact you might need to consider is that there will be possible severe performance issues with 1000 tasks in a list, plus with the extra task dependencies.

To deal with large number of tasks when syncing between Project and SharePoint Task list, it is recommended that “750 is about as large as you would want to go with a project plan. A SharePoint List should be even smaller for best functionality and usability, 100 tasks in a SharePoint task list is a reasonable number to work with”:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2876901?wa=wsignin1.0

Thanks 

Patrick Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 30, 2015 2:45 AM
  • Keeping aside performance, is there a way to sync more than 1000+ tasks in a SharePoint list?

techie

Monday, May 4, 2015 5:27 PM
  • Hi,

A suggestion is that you can create a custom timer job in SharePoint Server side, it will run periodically to do the syncing. If the tasks are too many, in the code behind the timer job, we can sync a sub set of tasks each time.

By doing this, it will not hit the limitation of syncing between Project and Task list.

About how to work with timer job:

http://www.codeproject.com/Tips/634208/Create-and-Deploy-Custom-Timer-Job-Definition-in-S

Thanks 

Patrick Liang

• Proposed as answer by Dennis Guo Friday, May 8, 2015 6:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dennis Guo Monday, May 11, 2015 1:35 AM
    Wednesday, May 6, 2015 1:31 AM