none
Sound Recorder Not Working RRS feed

• Question

• After Windows 7 SP1 update installed, I can no longer record streaming audio with Windows Sound Recorder. It will record audio from CDs etc. My computer is an Asus P5K-E with built-in audio and uses SoundMax drivers ... all updated.
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 2:25 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the feedback Leo.

The problem that appeared after SP1 installation was no recording device was recognized by Windows except a microphone. The Troubleshooter worked OK except it could NOT detect any recording device except a microphone on my system.

After hours of fiddling around, the solution that finally worked was to delete all sound devices. I deleted all traces of the sound devices by first using Device Manager to delete the deivce. Then I searched my hard drive for any files associated with the sound devices and deleted them. Then I deleted any entries associated with sound devices in the Registry. I then rebooted.

The problem I believe is the SP1 update was incompatible with the SoundMax Blackhawk software the Asus motherboard I have uses for controlling the built-in sound card.

On start up, Windows found NEW sound devices and installed NEWER drives for those devices. I now had a Stereo Mix device like I had before the SP1 install and it now successfully allowed me to record streaming audio once more. SoundMax no longer supports the Blackhawk software so the SP1 update could not find updated drivers for it. SP1 just removed the old software and left the system with a Microsoft default driver for the microphone as the only sound recording device.

At least sound recording is working again.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 5:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What error message or error symptom did you receive when you use sound recorder?

Try using the Recording Audio troubleshooter to fix common problems with audio hardware and settings, and then try to record audio again in Sound Recorder:

Open the Recording Audio troubleshooter by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting. Under Hardware and Sound, click Troubleshoot audio recording. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Also try to login with Clean Boot, update sound card driver, and make sure your headphone and microphone was well worked.

This link maybe helpful to you:

How to Fix the Windows 7 Sound Recorder

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 8:51 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback Leo.

The problem that appeared after SP1 installation was no recording device was recognized by Windows except a microphone. The Troubleshooter worked OK except it could NOT detect any recording device except a microphone on my system.

After hours of fiddling around, the solution that finally worked was to delete all sound devices. I deleted all traces of the sound devices by first using Device Manager to delete the deivce. Then I searched my hard drive for any files associated with the sound devices and deleted them. Then I deleted any entries associated with sound devices in the Registry. I then rebooted.

The problem I believe is the SP1 update was incompatible with the SoundMax Blackhawk software the Asus motherboard I have uses for controlling the built-in sound card.

On start up, Windows found NEW sound devices and installed NEWER drives for those devices. I now had a Stereo Mix device like I had before the SP1 install and it now successfully allowed me to record streaming audio once more. SoundMax no longer supports the Blackhawk software so the SP1 update could not find updated drivers for it. SP1 just removed the old software and left the system with a Microsoft default driver for the microphone as the only sound recording device.

At least sound recording is working again.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 5:17 PM
  • I’m glad to hear your issue was solved, I will mark your reply as answer. It could help other communities here who have the same issue.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 2:59 AM
  • I’m glad to hear your issue was solved, I will mark your reply as answer. It could help other communities here who have the same issue.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Thursday, March 17, 2011 2:59 AM
  • Is it ever possible to record streaming audio with Windows Sound recordrer.

I think you probably need TunesKit auido capture to do that in high quality. And I also recommend using Adobe Audio to record streaming audio. It may require some time to get familiar with Adobe, but after that it would prove to be pretty helpful.

Friday, October 18, 2019 10:07 AM
  • Sound Recorder is only good for small recordings,and limited properties.For a great recorder,download Microsoft/Windows Media Encoder/9 series.The recorderhas unlimited recordind properties,plus you can sream/convert/audio-video.The encoderis retired with Microsoft,but its utilities-updates can be had thru Microsoft/Windows/Media Encoder 9 thru download center...
    Saturday, October 19, 2019 3:36 PM