Problems registering Vista VM Installation in Sun Virtualbox RRS feed

• Question

• Recently I purchased a dell Inspiron 1545 preinstalled with Windows Vista. Since I a) Dislike Vista and b) Develop cross platform software. I figured that the best config solution for me was to install Ubuntu as a host operating system, and reinstall Vista as a guest operating system using the Dell backup disk in Virtualbox.

This worked out well for me, up until a month ago, when I was getting the "This copy of Windows is not genuine" messages,  and harrassing little balloons telling me to activate my guest operating system, which did absolutely no good. I realize that this is Microsoft's way of combating piracy, but my copy of Vista has already been bought and paid for when I shelled out the $500 for this machine. Any suggestions?
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 7:54 PM

All replies

• The Dell OEM version of Windows Vista is licensed solely for installation and activation on the Dell computer it originally came with.  That license cannot be reused/transferred for use on a different computer or a Virtual Machine.  Please read the licensing agreement by typing WINVER in Vista's Start Search box and pressing the Enter key on your keyboard.
    Carey Frisch
    Monday, February 22, 2010 12:58 AM