Passing form collected data to a runbook in MDT2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My company has a need for a semi-automatic process of adding a system to an AD Security group during the imaging process.

Orchestrator 2012 was selected for the mechanism to actually perform the action, and functionally, we've got it working.

The challenge now has been to:

- Create a form that includes a manually written list of AD Security groups, using radio buttons as a selection method

- Collecting that data and storing in 2 variables -- somehow

- Pass that data to a the runbook execution piece in MDT -- somehow

I am new-ish to the structure of MDT, and i'm not sure how this is done.

I have the MDT Wizard Editor, in which I designed the form, and I have that form added into the DeployWiz_Definition_ENU.xml file, so when I run LiteTouch.vbs, the form shows up.

Now I need to make it actually do something.

The runbook accepts (2) values:

- Hostname 

- AD Group Name

Questions: 

This form contains a list of radio buttons, each with a specific value that is the simply name of each AD group.

How would you collect the input data from that form, store it, and pass the exact values to the runbook node in the task sequence? How does that work exactly? Task Sequence Variables that are set via one of Initialization or Validation scripts? What parses the input data from the custom form?

Can someone help me out on this one? Am struggling just a bit. 

Thursday, July 30, 2015 8:22 PM

Answers

• HostName won't work in WinPE.  Try OSDComputername because you gather that information as you are going through the wizard.

Also you need to call out the AD Group Name variable in your customsettings.ini

Properties=MyCustomProperty, WhateverYourADGroupNamePropertyisCalled

When you pass the parameters to your runbook you can use %OSDComputername% and %WhateverYourADGroupNamePropertyIsCalled%

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by owend20 Thursday, July 30, 2015 8:51 PM
    Thursday, July 30, 2015 8:31 PM
  • Yes that should be correct.  You can see an example of that happening in the DeployWiz_ComputerName.xml/vbs

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, July 30, 2015 8:49 PM

All replies

• HostName won't work in WinPE.  Try OSDComputername because you gather that information as you are going through the wizard.

Also you need to call out the AD Group Name variable in your customsettings.ini

Properties=MyCustomProperty, WhateverYourADGroupNamePropertyisCalled

When you pass the parameters to your runbook you can use %OSDComputername% and %WhateverYourADGroupNamePropertyIsCalled%

Thursday, July 30, 2015 8:31 PM
  • Ok, so let me see if I understand...

I do know that OSDComputerName already gets collected, so I can simply use that in the runbook input parameters.

But for the AD group name, I need to:

- Define a new custom property in CustomSettings.ini

e.g.  Properties=MyCustomProperty,GroupSelection

-Create an initialization script with a single function that takes the input value from one of the radio buttons and sets it to equal GroupSelection

e.g.

Function ParseGroupSelection

GroupSelection = NACSelect.Value

End Function

And thats it? Does that sound about right?

• Edited by owend20 Thursday, July 30, 2015 8:40 PM
    Thursday, July 30, 2015 8:39 PM
  • Yes that should be correct.  You can see an example of that happening in the DeployWiz_ComputerName.xml/vbs

Thursday, July 30, 2015 8:49 PM
  • Thank you! I'll give it a whirl, see how she floats.

I appreciate the help good sir.

Thursday, July 30, 2015 8:51 PM