none
I have convert physical server to vhd file (with tool disk2vhd) but it is not booting OS. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Support,

I have Convert physical server VHD with the Tool of (Disk2Vhd) but it is showing not-boot able VHD. when i am attached on Hyper-V then it is not working. 

Please share the step to cenvert physical server in VHD and upload to azure.

Saturday, August 3, 2019 7:14 AM

All replies

• Please, provide us some more information so we can try to repro..

What OS server version?

Boot disk was MBR or GPT? Bios or UEFI?

To what Hyper-v version did you attached the converted disk?

Thanks
    -mario

Saturday, August 3, 2019 3:03 PM
  • Hi Support,

I have trying to multiple way but unable to convert successful VHD for uploading Azure.

Can you share the steps according my environment:

1. I have one Physical server 2012 r2 with installed Hyper-v role.

2. Now i am converting physical server vhd and upload to azure

3. upload the VHD on azure storage account and when creating VM after that it is showing failed.

Please share the Steps.

Tuesday, March 17, 2020 9:22 AM
  • With Disk2VHD, you must configure Hyper-V manually before you are able to use the converted files. More importantly, though, is the fact that selecting all the logical drives needed for a successful conversion can be confusing and complicated. Besides the primary installation drive, you must also select the logical drives for the boot and System Reserved partitions. Failure to do so will often result in failed VHD conversions that will not boot inside Hyper-V

What you need is mountvol drive: /S, which mounts the EFI System Partition to a drive letter so that disk2vhd will discover it, where drive: can be any available drive letter (e.g. D:):

HTH
    -mario

Tuesday, March 17, 2020 10:50 AM