none
Allow non admin users access to Color Management Change systems defaults in Windows 10 GPO / domain / OU RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all. I want to be able to allow a small group of users to change advanced color settings in Windows 10.
    This is so that some people (non-admins) can go around and color calibrate the monitors in our office.

Color Management -> In the Advanced tab -> Change System Defaults

It asks for elevation. I used a GPO to add the OU to the local Power Users group but still asks for elevation.

What is the "best practices" way of doing this? I am assuming I do not have to make the user local admin.

The monitor is calibrated with probe software that is installed on Windows.

Just to clarify, we are in a domain and I want to be able to control this as a GPO. The users that are allowed to do it are in an OU.

This is the OU:

OU=TD, OU=Users, OU=studio, DC=xxxx, DC=com

I want anyone in that TD OU to be able to get into that "Change system defaults..." area.

Thanks to all in advance.

• Edited by d3m0r4l1z3r Wednesday, January 31, 2018 6:23 PM
    Wednesday, January 31, 2018 6:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I believe that additional steps are needed in order to make this work.

• Run Regedit.exe as an administrator
    • Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Controls Folder\PowerCfg
    • Right-click on the “GlobalPowerPolicy” key and choose “Permissions”.
    • Click on the “Advanced” button.
    • Click “Add”.
    • Type INTERACTIVE and click “Check names”, then OK.
    • Check the “Set value” and “Create Subkey” checkboxes in the “Allow” column, and click OK, then OK, then OK.
    • Do the same thing with the “PowerPolicies” key.

Note: If you want to allow another specific user or group that ability instead, replace “INTERACTIVE” below with the user or group you want.

If you find that my post has answered your question, please mark it as the answer. If you find my post to be helpful in anyway, please click vote as helpful. Regards Udit

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 6:39 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.

It looks like this is for Power Management not Color Management?

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 8:08 PM
  • Hi,

If you find that my post has answered your question, please mark it as the answer. If you find my post to be helpful in anyway, please click vote as helpful. Regards Udit

Thursday, February 1, 2018 4:09 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 2, 2018 9:52 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved? 

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.
    If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,
    William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 5, 2018 12:07 PM
  • ???

The asker did reply to you already, saying that the answer gave the Registry key for Power Policy, not the one for Color Calibration.

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 3:40 PM