Another Windows 7 battery issue RRS feed

• Question

• A few months ago Windows 7 suggested to me that it looked like I was using my laptop plugged in most of the time and this was detrimental to my battery.  If I wanted Windows would fix it so that my battery only charged to 50% and that this would extend my battery's life.  So I said Yes or OK.  Now I'm using the laptop unplugged quite a bit and want to return the battery charge to 100%.  I've searched the computer for a 'switch' to return to 100% but can't find one. I've looked in this forum and found nothing to fix the issue and help like http://bit.ly/nTQuCH but it hasn't fixed it.  The battery only charges to 50% then stops.  Has anyone got a bone fide fix please?
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Monday, September 19, 2011 1:18 PM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Monday, September 19, 2011 9:40 AM

Answers

• Who is the laptop manufacturer?

In general, this type of saver function is a tool provided by the manufacturer (not a part of Windows 7), so you will have to look around to see if you can find the mfgrs tool.

Try start button searches for:

battery saver

battery maintenence

battery charge

and so on until you get what you are looking for.

I know the saver on my personal laptop is a Sony provided program, but I'm at work right now and our systems use images that remove the original system software and relace it all with an approved image.  accordingly, I can't find anything on my work laptop, but I know for certain my personal laptop is running a sony branded tool as I've modified that one several times to handle various circumstances, much the same as you'd like to do now.

Good luck with it, and since you were prompted to change settings, we can be certain the application is on your machine you just have to find it.

DAS

• Edited by Win7Tester Monday, September 19, 2011 11:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, September 30, 2011 9:16 AM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 11:23 AM
  • As mentioned above, the setting should be configured by a third-party program. Please find if any Charge button/icon is available to click when you unplug it. You can also contact the computer manufacturer to verify it.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, September 23, 2011 7:54 AM

All replies

• click Start=>All Programs=>Accessories=>right-click Command Prompt

Type powercfg -energy and tap enter. Run this plugged in with no other apps running-idle the computer as much as you can

This will create a report named energytest.html and place it at the root of C:\.

Navigate there and double click on the report to open it.

You now have a report of the status of the devices and power usage of the computer.

The charge limit is not a feature of Windows. Windows reports the state of charge. You may have malware or a third party application creating the message.

The life of a battery and the abitlity to retain a charge reduce over time. 3-4 years is excellent life. You can expect deterioration and replacement of the battery.

Here's Battery University, an interesting website about the science of batteries.

Monday, September 19, 2011 11:21 AM
  • Who is the laptop manufacturer?

In general, this type of saver function is a tool provided by the manufacturer (not a part of Windows 7), so you will have to look around to see if you can find the mfgrs tool.

Try start button searches for:

battery saver

battery maintenence

battery charge

and so on until you get what you are looking for.

I know the saver on my personal laptop is a Sony provided program, but I'm at work right now and our systems use images that remove the original system software and relace it all with an approved image.  accordingly, I can't find anything on my work laptop, but I know for certain my personal laptop is running a sony branded tool as I've modified that one several times to handle various circumstances, much the same as you'd like to do now.

Good luck with it, and since you were prompted to change settings, we can be certain the application is on your machine you just have to find it.

DAS

• Edited by Win7Tester Monday, September 19, 2011 11:23 AM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 11:23 AM
  • As mentioned above, the setting should be configured by a third-party program. Please find if any Charge button/icon is available to click when you unplug it. You can also contact the computer manufacturer to verify it.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, September 23, 2011 7:54 AM