none
When I change my LAN to WIFI network - whether group policy will get apply automotically

Question

• Hi Techies,

Need suggestion, the requirement is whenever the users switch the network from LAN to Wifi network or LAN (x) subnet to LAN (y) subnet.  Whether windows by default refresh the group policy (User and Computer configuration)

Or

We will have to forcefully do gpupdate /force manually. (Restart or Logoff the computer)

Please suggest. What is the best way to forcefully apply the group policy automatically when there is network change detected.  

Note : User may be in slip mode / hibernate mode or active when there is network change.

With Regards, Raviraj Nagenhatti - System Administrator

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 12:59 PM

Answers

• I guess you could schedule a script on the client to run every few minutes that tries to detect a network change and manually force a group policy refresh if it detect one.

As for a built in mechanism, I don't believe there is one.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 2:14 PM
  • Hi,

I agree with MikeeMiracle. There is no built in feature to meet your requirement.

By default, computer Group Policy is updated in the background every 90 minutes, with a random offset of 0 to 30 minutes. In addition to background updates, Group Policy for the computer is always updated when the system starts.

Please go through the following article to get more information about the Group Policy refresh interval:

Group Policy refresh interval for computers

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc940895.aspx

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 6:29 AM
  • Hi,

It is not recommended. When you set the refresh interval to 2 minutes, the computer tries to update Group Policy every two minutes. Because such updates might interfere with users’ work and increase network traffic, very short update intervals are appropriate only in test environments.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 30, 2016 1:42 AM

All replies

• I guess you could schedule a script on the client to run every few minutes that tries to detect a network change and manually force a group policy refresh if it detect one.

As for a built in mechanism, I don't believe there is one.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 2:14 PM
  • Hi,

I agree with MikeeMiracle. There is no built in feature to meet your requirement.

By default, computer Group Policy is updated in the background every 90 minutes, with a random offset of 0 to 30 minutes. In addition to background updates, Group Policy for the computer is always updated when the system starts.

Please go through the following article to get more information about the Group Policy refresh interval:

Group Policy refresh interval for computers

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc940895.aspx

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 6:29 AM
  • Thank you MikeeMiracle and Alvwan.

The requirement is update the group policy when there is network change.  What if i change from group policy to refresh time to 2 minutes all the users.  Whether my network will get choked and is there any other know and unknown impact.

Currently we have set 15 minutes as GP refresh Internval.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 7:08 AM
  • Hi,

It is not recommended. When you set the refresh interval to 2 minutes, the computer tries to update Group Policy every two minutes. Because such updates might interfere with users’ work and increase network traffic, very short update intervals are appropriate only in test environments.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Thursday, June 30, 2016 1:42 AM

• Thank You....

Thursday, June 30, 2016 7:51 AM