How to set up ADFS to redirect to a localhost website during development (using Visual Studio) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. Are there any links on setting up ADFS 3 and Visual Studio 2015 to get ADFS to redirect back to a localhost site after authentication?

We cannot manage to get the redirect from ADFS to work back to localhost. In frustration, we set up a new site on our dev server using host headers and set up the relaying trust and redirect on there. It works fine there, but I want to debug the site during development on my own PC. 

I've tried creating a site on my PC that points to the location of the code, and setting that up as a trust.  It creates an error after authenticating, and of course there's no error shown on the page. 

I am using:
    Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition
    Developing an MVC Web site with On-premise authentication

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks
    Dave

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 7:39 PM

Answers

• ADFS does not need to connect to the RP. So just enter a localhost URL in the endpoint at the RP level, as long as the client can reach it, you are good to go. The ADFS is agnostic of where the service is...It will just ask the client to see what ever endpoint is configured at the RP level.

What is the error message you're seeing?

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Thursday, August 18, 2016 2:53 AM

All replies

• ADFS does not need to connect to the RP. So just enter a localhost URL in the endpoint at the RP level, as long as the client can reach it, you are good to go. The ADFS is agnostic of where the service is...It will just ask the client to see what ever endpoint is configured at the RP level.

What is the error message you're seeing?

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Thursday, August 18, 2016 2:53 AM
  • Thank you, that worked.  Not sure why it didn't work before, but your response made perfect sense to our infrastructure folks. 

David Cheever

Friday, August 19, 2016 4:06 AM