How to add URL and a 2nd parameter to IE shortuct in APP-V RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to virtualize Java using APP-V v4.6 SP1, which works fine when creating a new shortcut to Internet Explorer in the virtual package.

My problem is in passing two command parameters to the IE shortcut.  I would like to point to a specific URL and pass the -noframemerging switch.  So far, I am unsuccessful.  If the shortcut looks like this:  IEXPLORE.EXE -NOFRAMEMERGING HTTP://WEBSITENAME or IEXPLORE.EXE HTTP://WEBSITENAME -NOFRAMEMERGING, the -noframemerging name becomes part of the URL - and IE does not connect to anything (because there is no such website).

How can this be accomplished?

Thanks...

Monday, November 14, 2011 5:59 PM

Answers

• I found my own answer.  Actually, this was a case of testing in the wrong environment  The APP-V package, where the -noframemerging switch is being used with IE, was being tested on a system with IE6.  IE6 does not support the -noframemerging switch.  So my APP-V package was correct all along and works when deployed on a system that has IE8!
    • Marked as answer by MikeK6044 Saturday, November 19, 2011 1:29 AM
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 1:28 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Create the shortcut during sequencing.

If it works during sequencing, it will work once you distribute it to the clients
    /Znack
    Monday, November 14, 2011 6:43 PM
  • See this KB article: How to use App-V Sequencer together with Windows Internet Explorer and together with other related programs

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Monday, November 14, 2011 7:18 PM
  • Hello Znack,

Sorry, I am not sure I am being clear.  The shortcut is created during sequencing....or maybe it's more accurate to say the shortcut is configured during sequencing.  But there is no shortcut added to the Desktop of the sequencing machine, so there is nothing to test or verify (on the sequencing machine).

To clarify, I would expect a shortcut to be added to the sequencing machine's desktop if I were installing/sequencing Winzip or a similar application.  But with Java, there is no shortcut.  To utilize the virtualized java, a shortcut to Internet Explorer must be added/configured in the sequenced package.  This works great when deploying the package configured with or without a single command line paramter (e.g. IEXPLORE.EXE or IEXPLORE.EXE HTTP://WEBSITENAME.  But where I am failing is when configuring the shortcut with two command line parameters (e.g. IEXPLORE.EXE HTTP://WEBSITENAME -NOFRAMEMERGING).

Note, that command line in question works fine when configuring a standard Windows shortcut (not using APP-V).

Also note, the IE shortcut is only added when deploying the finalized APP-V package, and the actual shortcut points to the VAppLauncher.exe (e.g.  C:\WINDOWS\system32\CCM\VAppLauncher.exe /launch "MyVirtualJavaPackage").

Does this help explain my problem more clearly?

Thanks...

Monday, November 14, 2011 7:38 PM
  • Hello,

While in monitoring mode - can you create and double-click the shortcut?
    /Znack
    Monday, November 14, 2011 7:54 PM
  • Thanks for the link, Aaron.

The information in the link does not go far enough to assist with my particular problem though.  Creating a shortcut to IE is not a problem in my case.  The parameters piece is the tricky part.

In my osd file, the parameters line looks like this:  PARAMETERS="http://mywebsite.com -noframemerging".  I have also tried swapping parameters:  PARAMETERS="-noframemerging http://mywebsite.com"

As noted in my previous reply to Znack, the IE command with one paramter works fine:  PARAMETERS="http://mywebsite.com"

Thanks again...

Monday, November 14, 2011 7:56 PM
  • Hello,

You can manually make a shortcut during sequencing (while in monitoring mode). I just did so and got the generated OSD-file;

<IMPLEMENTATION>
    		<CODEBASE HREF="RTSP://%SFT_SOFTGRIDSERVER%:554/Internet Explorer/Internet Explorer_3.sft" SIZE="10993468" GUID="79FC8380-01B9-49A0-A867-22E8E0BCC0AD" PARAMETERS="-NOFRAMEMERGING http://www.viridisit.com" FILENAME="c:\program files (x86)\INTERNET EXPLORER\iexplore.exe" SYSGUARDFILE="Internet Explorer\osguard.cp"/>
    		<VIRTUALENV TERMINATECHILDREN="FALSE">
    			<POLICIES>
    				<LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED>TRUE</LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED>
    			</POLICIES>
    			<ENVLIST/>
    		</VIRTUALENV>

The above works quite well.

In case you make the shortcut manually during sequencing - you can test it by double-clicking it.

/Znack
    • Proposed as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Thursday, November 17, 2011 9:29 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by MikeK6044 Saturday, November 19, 2011 1:27 AM
    Monday, November 14, 2011 8:33 PM
  • I found my own answer.  Actually, this was a case of testing in the wrong environment  The APP-V package, where the -noframemerging switch is being used with IE, was being tested on a system with IE6.  IE6 does not support the -noframemerging switch.  So my APP-V package was correct all along and works when deployed on a system that has IE8!
    • Marked as answer by MikeK6044 Saturday, November 19, 2011 1:29 AM
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 1:28 AM