Windows 7 Taskbar Jumping Issue RRS feed

• General discussion

• In windows 7, if you right click any icon that is pinned to the taskbar, and then, with that program's menu displayed, left click an empty part of the taskbar and move the mouse in any direction. The taskbar (even if it is locked) will jump to the top of the screen.

http://imgur.com/eG8Xz.png

Monday, March 1, 2010 1:12 PM

All replies

• In windows 7, if you right click any icon that is pinned to the taskbar, and then, with that program's menu displayed, left click an empty part of the taskbar and move the mouse in any direction. The taskbar (even if it is locked) will jump to the top of the screen.

http://imgur.com/eG8Xz.png

Hi

I tried but was unable to recreate the behavior you are describing.

If this is something that just started recently, you might want to try using s System Restore point to go back to a time before the behavior started.

If this does not fix the problem, try creating a new User Account, Create a user account, log on with the new account and try to recreate the behavior.

If the behavior cannot be recreated with the new user account, this may indicate that your current user account is corrupted.

If this is the case, replace the corrupted account with a new account using the instructions in the following article.
    How To Fix a corrupted user profile

Let us know what you find.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 1:44 AM
  • Since every single one of the 16 friends I know that have windows 7 have been able to recreate this issue, I can definitely say that 'you're doing it wrong.'
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 4:40 AM
  • 1. right click a program on the taskbar.
    2. with that menu still open, left click and hold down on an empty spot on the taskbar
    3. move your mouse in any direction
    4. stop doing it wrong
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 4:42 AM
  • Hi

Sorry for the confusion, but a left click is slightly different from a left click and hold.

I can see now that you are correct, it can be reproduced.

I haven't seen this reported before, but I will escalate this issue and see if it is a known problem.

Regards,

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 8:44 PM
  • Any update on this problem?

We have multiple PC's running the 32 bit version of Windows 7 PRO and we're having some issues with the task bar.

Anytime we right click a program on the taskbar and the menu opens, then left click on an empty spot on the taskbar while the menu is still open and move the mouse, the task bar jumps to the top.

We have the task bar locked but it still moves to the top.

I've noticed others on technet have reported the same issue.

Does anyone know if Microsoft has developed a patch for this problem?

Below are the steps to recreate this issue:
    1. right click a program on the taskbar.
    2. with that menu still open, left click and hold down on an empty spot on the taskbar
    3. move your mouse in any direction
    4. This will cause the taskbar to jump to the top of the screen.Even though the taskbar is locked.

Thanks and any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, August 11, 2011 6:12 AM
  • Hi,

I borrow this old conversation but I have slightly different problem.

I have three screens and taskbar jumping between them when I start Windows (7 Enterprise).

I locked taskbar left side one of the screens (not primary) but when I start windows it could be found left side of the different screen. It is quite annoying to move it every morning to the place where I want to it be.

Have anyone any idea what is the problem?

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 4:47 AM