How do I display the Power icon? RRS feed

• Question

• How can I get to the battery meter on my Windows 7 desktop?    There was an icon in the system tray when I set up the machine but I accidentally disabled it and I can't get it back.   It doesn't appear on the list of icons when I click the "Customize" option on the system tray and I can't find anything about it when I look in the Power Options in the Control Panel.

The machine is connected to a UPS (I do get the USB audio beep when I connect or disconnect it) and as I said, it was there originally. 
    • Edited by Athena.. _ Friday, January 22, 2010 6:04 PM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 4:10 PM

Answers

• Select the up arrow in the Notification area and then select Customize. Then select "Turn system icons on or off"

Make sure the Power entry is turned on.

• Marked as answer by Athena.. _ Saturday, January 23, 2010 4:29 PM
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 8:22 PM

All replies

• If it was there, you should be able to do a system restore to a point before you disabled it.
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 5:58 PM
  • That sounds like a function of the software for the UPS. Try reinstalling it.

Rich
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 1:32 AM
  • I never installed any software for the UPS.  It's a regular APC unit and the battery icon just appeared the first time Windows 7 started.    The Device Manager shows that a UPS Battery is installed (and Powercfg correctly identifies it) but I can't see how to get to the meter.
    Do I really have to install the software to get a meter? I would prefer to avoid junking up the new system with stuff that isn't needed.
    I don't have a restore point that won't wipe out just about everything I did right after installing the machine so I'm rather reluctant to do that.
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 5:15 PM
  • Select the up arrow in the Notification area and then select Customize. Then select "Turn system icons on or off"

• Marked as answer by Athena.. _ Saturday, January 23, 2010 4:29 PM
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 8:22 PM
  • Hi Athena,

Generally, no battery meter is available for desktop computer by default. The battery meter should be enabled with the hardware, such as UPS.

If Lead3’s suggestion cannot fix the issue, I would like to confirm what is the detailed model of your UPS?

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Friday, January 22, 2010 5:03 AM
  • Hi Athena,

Generally, no battery meter is available for desktop computer by default. The battery meter should be enabled with the hardware, such as UPS.

If Lead3’s suggestion cannot fix the issue, I would like to confirm what is the detailed model of your UPS?

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT

1.  I apologize for having confused the Battery Meter with the Power icon.  I want to know how to get the standard Windows Power icon that can be displayed in the system tray.  It was there when I first installed Windows 7 but it does not appear in the "customize" list of icons to be displayed in the tray.  It is not grayed out...it is simply not there.

2.  The UPS is an APC ES550.  It appears in the Device Manager and the battery is certainly working.

I have never installed PowerChute on any of my Vista machines and I've always had the option to include the Power icon in the system tray but it simply is not available on the newly built Windows 7 system.  Is this really "as designed"?  If so, why did I see it on first run?
    Friday, January 22, 2010 5:58 PM
  • I apologize for having confused the Battery Meter with the Power icon.  I want to know how to get the standard Windows Power icon that can be displayed in the system tray.  It was there when I first installed Windows 7 ...
    Athena, I used to have an APC ES 550 as well. The combined battery meter/power icon should become enabled when you plug in your UPS:

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1p46JFA2Ryww3vVMFAmnGOy6eUva6YfbykykWEGnR-vWMQOsKbRCnTKQ-ALtvU1FS25zlij7HNbWXy_Klxg-EGFg/power-icon.jpg

In the "Customize" window, you did click the "Turn system icons on or off" link at the bottom, right?

Can you try unplugging and then re-plugging the USB cable for the UPS? If that doesn't work, try uninstalling the UPS from Device Manager and letting it reinstall the driver when you plug the USB back in. (What Ztruker said.)

I never installed any software for the UPS. ... I would prefer to avoid junking up the new system with stuff that isn't needed.
    Good choice. APC PowerChute disables the power icon and makes things less convenient. It does, however, let you silence that annoying blackout alarm.
    • Edited by joeboxer Saturday, January 23, 2010 3:17 PM typo
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 3:16 PM

I have the same problem , and I've tried this . But I am not able to click on the scroll to change the icon from "off" to "on" . 
    Friday, June 15, 2012 1:35 AM