How do I configure UAG SP1 to rewrite URLs RRS feed

• Question

• I did a fresh install of UAG SP1.  Created a trunk and added an application specific hostname web application for an intranet site.  I am able to login to the portal and see the application link, but the URL to that link is not rewritten so it is a broken link and external clients can't access the website.

How do I configure UAG to rewrite the URLs?

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 12:14 AM

Answers

• Hi

It sounds like you chose the wrong application template for your needs, to publish that intranet site. Delete that application from the UAG portal trunk and re-publish it using this template: Other Web Application (portal hostname).

Regards,

-Ran
    • Marked as answer by ms112 Wednesday, May 4, 2011 4:48 PM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 7:49 AM

All replies

• Hi

It sounds like you chose the wrong application template for your needs, to publish that intranet site. Delete that application from the UAG portal trunk and re-publish it using this template: Other Web Application (portal hostname).

Regards,

-Ran
    • Marked as answer by ms112 Wednesday, May 4, 2011 4:48 PM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 7:49 AM
  • That works great!  Thanks!

But how would I get SharePoint sites to rewrite?  Or even intranet sites that require host headers?

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 5:16 PM
  • Hi Amig@. The template for SharePoint 2007/2010 relies on SharePoint's alternate access mappings (AAM). This way, there is no need to rewrite the external URL as SharePoint itself will include it in the responses. This is the same than using the "application specific hostname" where UAG will rely on the web server to send the right hostname. For SharePoint 2003 however, the template uses the traditional HAT signing because there is no AAM in SPS 2003.

Hope it helps

// Raúl - I love this game
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 6:48 PM
  • Our SharePoint sites are all intranet sites, and the way I'm understanding your answer is that I need to publish these sites externally with an external IP address and DNS name.  Then I use AAM to make sure SharePoint responds to those external requests...

Is this the case?

Thursday, May 5, 2011 11:10 PM
  • Thursday, May 5, 2011 11:21 PM
  • Thanks.  The reading was cryptic and full of SharePoint marketing, but I see it now.

I got this working with a test client machine using the host file.  So I need the AAM address set in our external DNS to point at the UAG portal address, and the UAG would just forward that URL request to the SharePoint farm.

Thursday, May 5, 2011 11:57 PM
  • Yep, SharePoint uses an application specific hostname template which means the applciation is accessed directly using the public FQDN from a remote client, UAG then provides access to SharePoint without the usual portal experience...
    Jason Jones | Forefront MVP | Silversands Ltd | My Blogs: http://blog.msedge.org.uk and http://blog.msfirewall.org.uk
    Friday, May 6, 2011 8:09 AM