none
Windows Azure Online backup Vs. StoreSimple?

Question

• what's the difference between Windows Azure Online Backup compared with StorSimple+Windows Azure? 

what scenario is for StorSimple, what scenario is for the Online Backup?

Ming

Monday, January 28, 2013 8:57 AM

All replies

• Excellent question, I would also like to know where MS is headed with this.
    Thursday, February 07, 2013 11:31 PM
  • StorSimple is an appliance which can provision a LUN(s) which is comprised of SSD+HDD+Cloud storage.  Hot/warm/cold blocks are dynamically and automatically managed on a per-LUN basis.  

StorSimple does not however have agents (except for SharePoint) which can, for example, back up a SQL Database.  It would also be ill advised to put a SQL database on a StorSimple LUN, and expect to benefit from the Azure connection.  I would advise using DPM for protecting these types of workloads, and using StorSimple for flat-files.

Mike Crowley | MVP
    My Blog -- Planet Technologies

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 11:13 PM
  • Hi Ming,

Just to add to Mike, if you want to backup application data, you shoul look into Azure Site Recovery and Backup Manager - http://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/services/site-recovery/

As Mike stated, StorSimple will only backup entire LUN's which would make it difficult to restore single files depending on your setup. You can of course present the iSCSI mapping directly to the Windows or Linux host but on restoring from StorSimple Manager, you will need to make you you don't overwrite the existing volume.

Esmiley

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 12:24 PM