Deployed a new computer with MDT 2013, but Windows licensing did not give me an initial grace period RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Strange issue. I have created a Windows 7 x64 gold image to be deployed. When creating the image, I allowed Sysprep to rearm Windows. I've deployed about 10 computers in the past week and everything has worked fine.

Yesterday, I deployed another two computers. One works fine, but when I logged into the second one, I was greeted with the you need to activate Windows now screen. I was confused so I ran slmgr /dlv and sure enough my license status was not "Initial Grace Period" but instead "Notification." (by the way, it did show remaining rearms as 2, which is expected since it was rearmed with sysprep when capturing the image, so we know it was in fact rearmed).

So my question is how and why did this happen? I was in a hurry so I just ran slmgr /rearm to burn off another rearm. I plan on putting in a KMS server at the end of the week, but I'm worried if I should redeploy the image to this machine since something appears to be wacky.

Anyone seen this before or have any thoughts on the matter?

Thursday, March 5, 2015 6:57 PM

All replies

• the hardware clock chip is set to the correct day-month-year on the target computers?

Sometimes I've seen the grace period be quite short (like 3 days).

We use KMS, so we find it really doesn't show up very long anyway..

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Thursday, March 5, 2015 8:40 PM
  • the hardware clock chip is set to the correct day-month-year on the target computers?

That was my thought as well. Checked the BIOS and the time and date were correct. I do remember when I was imaging these two machines yesterday that one of them did complain about the time in the BIOS not being set (but I can't remember if it was this particular machine or not). Either way, it was correct when I checked it today so maybe it corrected itself after Windows was installed? Not sure how else to explain this one.
    Thursday, March 5, 2015 8:56 PM
  • Either way, it was correct when I checked it today so maybe it corrected itself after Windows was installed? Not sure how else to explain this one.

Me either.

After Windows is installed, if you are domain-joining, the clock will sync to your Domain Controller.
    If not domain-joined, Windows will try to sync to time.windows.com (or similar).

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Friday, March 6, 2015 8:02 AM