Lync 2010 MP - Match Making Service alert RRS feed

• Question

• I asked this over in the Lync Monitoring forums, but they recommended it was posted here.

With the critical alert - "The passive Match Making Service cannot connect to the active Match Making Service." the alert does not disappear after the actual fault has cleared.

I have looked into the monitor which mentions event 31165 to trigger the unhealthy state and either 31164 or 31025 to revert it to healthy. 

The trouble is I cannot find out anything about these errors online and the 'healthy' ones are obviously not the ones the system actaully uses.

Has anyone managed to override this alert with correct information?

Friday, March 9, 2012 8:14 AM

Answers

• i guess you have to go back to the lync forums.

You've figured out what the healthy state is according to SCOM, but apperently the "healthy" state events aren't showing up in the eventlog. Not much that SCOM can do about this. This feedback should be given to the ones that created the mp, which is most likely the lync team. Hopefully they will update the mp, but as there's no update cycle on mp's, don't get your hopes up...

When you are sure the problem is resolved you can do a "reset health" of the monitor.

More permanent you could disable this rule and recreate this rule in a new mp of course use/add the actual healthy alerts for this healthy state.

Rob Korving
    http://jama00.wordpress.com/

• Edited by rob1974 Monday, March 12, 2012 5:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Tuesday, March 20, 2012 8:25 AM
    Monday, March 12, 2012 3:45 PM

All replies

• Hello Eric,

Please refer to the following thread:

Match Making Service Error - Response Group Delays of 15+ minutes
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ocsvoice/thread/bc19bc69-b0e5-49e0-b21d-ce7e44321d66/

According Richard, this error is usually caused by a front end server behind a HLB not being able to directly contact the other front end server. The communication is routed through the HLB instead of going directly to the other FE server. This can be usually be taken care of by one of two solutions:

1. Configure the HLB to allow one FE server to talk to other FE server directly, or
    2. Place a hosts file on each of the FE servers that points to the direct IP address of the other FE server (rather than the HLB).

Please try this then restart you Lync services. Take them both down and start them up one at a time. This will ensure that there is no contention on which Lync server will be the master match maker.

Hope it helps,

Yog Li

TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 12, 2012 9:59 AM
  • Thanks for that Yog. 

However my concern is with the alert rather than the actual error (Which is why I'm posing here).  The events stated in the Management Pack are not documented anywhere I can find and the 'healthy' ones do not match actual events.

Even when the service is back up and running OK the monitor in SCOM does not revert to green.

Monday, March 12, 2012 10:06 AM
  • i guess you have to go back to the lync forums.

You've figured out what the healthy state is according to SCOM, but apperently the "healthy" state events aren't showing up in the eventlog. Not much that SCOM can do about this. This feedback should be given to the ones that created the mp, which is most likely the lync team. Hopefully they will update the mp, but as there's no update cycle on mp's, don't get your hopes up...

When you are sure the problem is resolved you can do a "reset health" of the monitor.

More permanent you could disable this rule and recreate this rule in a new mp of course use/add the actual healthy alerts for this healthy state.

Rob Korving
    http://jama00.wordpress.com/

• Edited by rob1974 Monday, March 12, 2012 5:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Tuesday, March 20, 2012 8:25 AM
    Monday, March 12, 2012 3:45 PM