none
DPM 2010 - Inventories failing but backups completing RRS feed

• Question

• We have 3 protection groups that kick off at 8 pm every night to single stand alone tape device (IBM Ultrium 3580).   At 8pm, 6 inventory jobs are kicked off (3 detailed inventories and 3 fast inventories).  All six of these fail, backups then proceed as normal and succeed without a problem.

This is more of an annoyance than anything else, the actual protection groups backup fine and a manual detailed inventory succeeds without a problem. It's just that we get these 6 failed jobs every evening which gives an incorrect impression of the backups.

The inventory fails with error 3301, drive could not be contacted or is offline but this make little sense as the backup jobs start immediately after this and complete without an issue.
    • Edited by KlarisZA Thursday, January 26, 2012 6:03 AM
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 5:57 AM

All replies

• Are these inventories scheduled to run @ that time?

Can you post one of the inventory errors here (from Monitoring/Jobs tab)?

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 7:56 AM
  • These are scheduled jobs that are created automatically by DPM.  There is one detailed and one fast inventory job (two for each protection group) that kicks off at the same time as the Protection Group daily backup.
    The error messages on these jobs are:
    Type: Detailed inventory
    Description: DPM could not reserve the drive resource because one of required drive resources is not online or it needs cleaning or servicing. (ID 24052)
    More information
    End time: 1/25/2012 8:00:35 PM
    Start time: 1/25/2012 8:00:04 PM
    Library: IBM ULT3580-TD5 SCSI Sequential Device
    The Tape device is described as 
    Backup library: IBM ULTRIUM 5 3580 TAPE DRIVE
    In Tape Management and is not offline at the time of the inventory.  
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 8:58 AM
  • I don't have a stand alone drive. Check if this returns something for you...

$lib = Get-DPMLibrary (&hostname)
    foreach ($lib1 in $lib) {Get-TapeDrive $lib1}

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 9:08 AM
  • I get the following:

Name                                              Status                                            Library

----                                              ------                                            -------

IBM ULT3580-TD5 SCSI Sequential Device            In use                                            IBM ULT3580-TD5 SCSI Sequential Device

IBM ULTRIUM 5 3580 TAPE DRIVE                     In use                                            IBM ULTRIUM 5 3580 TAPE DRIVE

LTO Tape drive                                    Idle                                              LTO Tape drive

The only drive that currently displays under Tape management is the "IBM ULTRIUM 5 3580 TAPE DRIVE"

Thursday, January 26, 2012 9:36 AM
  • Do you get an output for this?

Get-MaintenanceJobStartTime -DPMServerName (&hostname) -MaintenanceJob libraryinventory

Thursday, January 26, 2012 9:53 AM
  • I get the following error:
    PS C:\> Get-MaintenanceJobStartTime -DPMServerName (&hostname) -MaintenanceJob libraryinventory
    Get-MaintenanceJobStartTime : No schedules found for the job definition. (ID: 951)
    At line:1 char:28
    + Get-MaintenanceJobStartTime <<<<  -DPMServerName (&hostname) -MaintenanceJob libraryinventory
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-MaintenanceJobStartTime], DlsException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : 951,Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Cmdlet.ProtectionCmdLets.GetHouseKeepingJobStartTime
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 1:43 PM
  • ok so, how did we remove this tape drive not used anymore ?
    I'm in the same situation. 2 Drives (1 defunct was removed). Nothing to do within DPM.

$lib = Get-DPMLibrary (&hostname)
         foreach ($lib1 in $lib) {Get-TapeDrive $lib1}

returns me 2 drives

so how can i use Disable-TapeDrive in order to select the correct drive to remove

• Edited by analogik76 Monday, March 12, 2012 3:01 PM completed
    Monday, March 12, 2012 2:55 PM