none
DHCP Migration RRS feed

• Question

• Hello , 

I'm planning to migrate 2008 R2 DHCP to 2012 R2 server  .

My question , if i disable My DHCP in 2008 R2 , is there any  impact to the clients during lease time  ? so the client maintain the same IP during leasing time .

Regards

Monday, March 13, 2017 10:27 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Be sure to take a backup before you migrating.  Install DHCP on new server. Open powershell as admin on new server and run

Install-WindowsFeature -Name DHCP -IncludeManagementTools

Run this command to check if both are installed and running

Get-WindowsFeature -name *DHCP* to see if both are installed and Get-Service -Name DHCP to see if services are running

Export the configuration from the Server 2008 R2 DHCP Server.

Copy the exported DHCP text file to the desktop of the new DHCP server. Import the configuration

If your old DHCP server is in the same network/subnet as the new DHCP server, you’ll notice that the old DHCP server has been de-authorized automatically. This is to prevent two DHCP servers from handing out conflicting addresses.

Check to make sure that your new DHCP has all of the same settings, options, scopes, and reservations set as the current one. If done correctly, everything should have been brought over.

migration would not have an impact to the live clients

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. 
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    (This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread).

• Marked as answer by azuriste Monday, March 13, 2017 1:01 PM
    • Edited by Nedim Mehic Monday, March 13, 2017 1:02 PM
    Monday, March 13, 2017 12:50 PM
  • Hello ,

the problem is resolved.i have created the scope manually ( no migration with command) and unauthorize the old server and authorize the new server and all the clients get IP

Regards

• Marked as answer by azuriste Tuesday, March 21, 2017 10:04 AM
    Tuesday, March 21, 2017 10:04 AM

All replies

• Thanks .

i'm confusing about witch server should be authorized when i finish migration .should be the 2012R2 server or 2008R2 server ?

Regards

Monday, March 13, 2017 11:07 AM
  • Hello ,

I have followed the link above to migrate to the new server , but the clients can not get IP .

this is my action plan :

1-Export configuration from 2008R2 server

2-Copy the file in the 2012R2 server

3-unauthorize the old DHCP in the Domain and disable DHCP service

4-Import configuration to the new server

5-authorize the new DHCP in the Domain

6-Test --> client can not get IP 

i can ping to the clients frim the new DHCP server 

is there any configuration shoould be done in the Switch ?

Regards

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 12:56 PM
  • is there any configuration shoould be done in the Switch ? >>> You need to configure "IP helper" on router&switch to point the new dhcp server.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 1:14 PM
  • hello ,

i asked the network team and they told me there wasn't an IP Helper for the Old DHCP server so you dont need to configure IP Helper !

what do you think ?

Regards

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 2:59 PM
  • Did you the event viewer menu for related error log's?Also you can check config with BPA;

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn283329(v=ws.11).aspx

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 5:05 PM
  • in Event (1064) i found this  : The DHCP/BINL service on the local machine, belonging to the Windows Administrative domain My Domain, has determined that it is not authorized to start.  It has stopped servicing clients.  The following are some possible reasons for this: 
    This machine is part of a directory service enterprise and is not authorized in the same domain.  (See help on the DHCP Service Management Tool for additional information). 

This machine cannot reach its directory service enterprise and it has encountered another DHCP service on the network belonging to a directory service enterprise on which the local machine is not authorized. 

Some unexpected network error occurred.

My new DHCP will be in Secondary  Domain controller 

Regards

• Edited by azuriste Monday, March 20, 2017 1:27 PM
    Wednesday, March 15, 2017 9:30 AM
  • any idea please ?
    Wednesday, March 15, 2017 4:49 PM
  • Refer these;

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/941464/event-id-1046-may-be-logged-when-a-windows-server-2003-based-dhcp-server-is-running-on-a-domain-controller-in-a-child-domain

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc726914(v=ws.10).aspx

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 5:50 PM
  • Hello ,

just to clear one point please .

it's right we can configure DHCP without Configuring IP HELPER on switch ?

Regards

Friday, March 17, 2017 9:36 AM
  • No,you have to configure new dhcp server ip from  "IP HELPER" on switch...

Friday, March 17, 2017 9:41 AM
  • yes i already check theses entries and its exist

Regards

Friday, March 17, 2017 11:03 AM
  • and i got the same error message even the DHCP is authorized  :

The DHCP/BINL service on the local machine, belonging to the Windows Administrative domain My Domain, has determined that it is not authorized to start.  It has stopped servicing clients.  The following are some possible reasons for this: 
    This machine is part of a directory service enterprise and is not authorized in the same domain.  (See help on the DHCP Service Management Tool for additional information). 

This machine cannot reach its directory service enterprise and it has encountered another DHCP service on the network belonging to a directory service enterprise on which the local machine is not authorized. 

Some unexpected network error occurred.

• Edited by azuriste Monday, March 20, 2017 1:27 PM
    Monday, March 20, 2017 1:26 PM
  • Hello ,

the problem is resolved.i have created the scope manually ( no migration with command) and unauthorize the old server and authorize the new server and all the clients get IP

Regards

• Marked as answer by azuriste Tuesday, March 21, 2017 10:04 AM
    Tuesday, March 21, 2017 10:04 AM
  • That's not entirely true.  If by chance the DHCP server is on the same subnet as the workstations (I would hope), then the clients would find DHCP via a broadcast not IP Address.

Hope this Helps. Please check as answer if you are satisfied with my response or click "Vote as Helpful". Thanks

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 5:33 PM
  • Exactly , this is why its working for me ( the DHCP server and the Clients are in the same subnet )
    • Edited by azuriste Thursday, March 23, 2017 8:43 AM
    Thursday, March 23, 2017 8:36 AM