none
Shared storage RRS feed

• Question

• Now my shared storage is used as a local disk for the Hyper-V host. There are virtual machine files. If I want to configure it as a cluster shared volume (CSV) and deploy it as high availability, Can I Need to delete the shared storage  and rebuild the LUN?
    Tuesday, June 18, 2019 11:27 AM

Answers

All replies

• No, you do not need to rebuild the LUN.  You need to configure another host to have access to the same LUN that you want shared.  Run the cluster validation wizard to ensure you have things configured properly.  Then build the cluster with the existing and the new hosts.  The shared storage will automatically be available to the cluster.  You add the storage to the cluster as a CSV and then make the VMs highly available.

tim

• Marked as answer by willwangxxz Wednesday, June 19, 2019 3:16 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by willwangxxz Wednesday, June 19, 2019 3:16 AM
    Tuesday, June 18, 2019 12:37 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in our forum!

We don't need to recreate a Cluster Shared Volume, but we need to make sure that all nodes in the cluster have access to the CSV and that the cluster storage validation report is okay so that we can use the LUN as the CSV of the cluster.

For more information about how to use CSV in Cluster, you can see here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/failover-clustering/failover-cluster-csvs

Hope this can help you. Please help me mark the useful reply as an answer. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 3:14 AM
  • This means I can convert shared storage to CSV with the virtual machine is running in shared storage. is it OK?
    Wednesday, June 19, 2019 3:18 AM
  • Yes, we can do this, but make sure that cluster validation reports are no issue.

I would also like to suggest that you refer to the link I gave you to help you better understand how to use CSV in cluster.

Regards,

Daniel

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 3:22 AM
  • Hi,
    Just want to confirm the current situations.
    Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.
    Best Regards,
    Daniel

Friday, June 21, 2019 1:39 AM