Microsoft Windows section is not showing up in Installed Updates RRS feed

• Question

• I have found two instances of this issue, but not one resolution. I'm attempting to remove KB2670838 from a machine. This update is causing issues with a Dental software pkg, and needs to be removed. I have found this update on my personal machine, but when I attempted to remove it from the machine at a Dental office I noticed that the entire group called "Microsoft Windows" in the "Installed updates" area of the Programs and features\ Control Panel is not there. It is not minimized, it's just missing. I have read about this on social.technet.microsoft.com and there was no resolution, and on answers.microsoft.com with no resolution. 
    Friday, April 26, 2013 3:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• Good Afternoon,

Have you checked in the registry that you have the updates file there i just opened a VM and deleted it in the registry and it deleted from Control Panel probably the first place to look 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate 

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Internet Communication Management\Internet Communication 

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

That is all the places where updates are referenced in registry

Hope this helps,

Gavin

EDIT:

Forgot to add i deleted the whole key not just the file in the top key

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please mark answers and helpful comments to help those helping you

Friday, April 26, 2013 3:52 PM
  • 1. ... even if you click on View installed updates?

2. Alternatively use Powershell

Get-WmiObject -Class “win32_quickfixengineering”

Regards

Milos

Friday, April 26, 2013 3:55 PM
  • Milos,

I can see the update in "installed updates" from windows update\ view update history, but not from the "View Installed Updates" in Programs and Features" \ control panel.

Dave

Friday, April 26, 2013 5:18 PM
  • Hi,

Please run the command systeminfo and check if the update is listed in the result.

Meanwhile, please check if the following method is helpful:

Hey, Scripting Guy! How Can I Remove a Microsoft Update?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/heyscriptingguy/archive/2009/03/12/how-can-i-remove-a-microsoft-update.aspx

In addition, please refer to:

Troubleshoot problems with removing updates

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/troubleshoot-problems-with-removing-updates

Thanks.

Nicholas Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Monday, May 6, 2013 3:07 AM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 8:10 AM
  • I am also having this issue on our network. I can not see the installed updates for "microsoft windows". I have determined that it's all the computers on our domain that I've thrown into the standard OU's for our computers. I have a test computer that is outside of the domain OU and I am slowly adding policies to it and waiting to see if that windows tree will disappear. Currently being outside of the domain OU seems to be enough to save the computer from this affliction.

I'm still not sure if this is a linked policy or some old wacky login script that's causing this problem.

We are running win7 pro 32bit. Virtually every client pc on the domain is affected by this problem. My end game is to remove IE10/11 from select computers that were updated from IE 9. I've even tried the command lines to remove IE10/11 and those do not work for me either.

Anyone else with this problem on a domain?

Friday, January 31, 2014 8:35 PM
  • As an update. I still haven't found the reason for the section dropping out, but I have confirmed how to remove IE10/11 from a computer. This was the updates I needed to remove initially.

Open CMD as administrator

Run this command for IE 10:

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*10.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"

Or this command for IE 11:

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*11.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"

Reboot the machine

Check version of IE, and run IE 10 command if downgraded to 10 from 11

Notes: You may see some errors pop up about access denied. Just let it finish and reboot, it should still work.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 8:16 PM
  • I was only seeing this in a domain environment but is was causing me a lot of heartburn.  Here is the solution to this problem.  Simply change a  value in the following:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\Ole  change LegacyImpersonationLevel from 1 to 2. Now the "Microsoft Windows" section will show up with all the updates that can be uninstalled.

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 7:22 PM