How to stop workflow starting when folder created. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a content type which its parent is of type Item and a workflow which is a multi approval workflow that works perfect with the content type.

I have an issue which is when I want to create a folder the folder seems to get a workflow process started for it and I do not wish for this to occur.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can stop this??
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 1:47 PM

Answers

• For trouble shooting purpose, can you create a new list, add your content type (don't delete the default), then add your workflow to the content type and see what happens?
    • Marked as answer by minority Wednesday, May 6, 2009 9:51 AM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 2:42 PM
  • I have figured it out.

The tutorial I followed for making my association didn't go into the details of being able to associate with content types and so I only had the add and update methods for assocation with a list.

I have added the required code to allow for association with a content type now and it appears to be working.

Your post on getting me to check my attachment to the list and content type got my brain in gear....taking a bit longer at the moment since I am counting down the days to summer holidays (4 weeks to go!!)

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 9:51 AM

All replies

• Do you add the content type to a list/doclib and then add the workflow to the content type?
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 2:25 PM
  • I create the list and then remove the Item content type and replace with my own (parent type Item).

I then add the workflow and do some association for it.

I then add a folder and every time the workflow starts....driving me mad.
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 2:38 PM
  • I tried to add to the content type but it doesn't seem to apply to it and goes against the list instead.
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 2:39 PM
  • For trouble shooting purpose, can you create a new list, add your content type (don't delete the default), then add your workflow to the content type and see what happens?
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 2:42 PM
  • okay

back in 2
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 2:43 PM
  • Okay created a new list then added the new content type and left the original item one.

Clicked on the new content type and added workflow.  On adding it the workflow I checked the worflow menu for the whole list and it appears there but not within the workflow menu for the specific content type.

However out of the box one seems to be saved within the new content type.
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 2:47 PM
  • Have I done something wrong when building my list or content type.

I just tried:

Add workflow to item and then created a new item of my content type and workflow started.

Added folder workflow started.

But when ever I try to add a workflow to my content type it just adds it instead to the root list workflow menu. It must be something to do with my visual studio workflow. I can add the approval workflow without an issue but when I try to add my multiple approval it always stores it at the root workflow menu. Have I missed something to allow me to add it to content types?
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 3:08 PM
  • Add workflow to item and then created a new item of my content type and workflow started.

Don't understand what you mean by 'add workflow to item', do you mean 'add workflow to list'?
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 5:01 PM
  • Yes sorry.

I think I have it worked out what is the problem.

On my association I attach to a list, I am guessing I should check whether I have a content type in the url param and if so attach to it instead.

The one issue I am having here is:

my content type id =

0x0100A0032A9F16CAE845B1473384E6BA75B1

The param ctype id =

0x0100A0032A9F16CAE845B1473384E6BA75B1000C8331172150CA408534162ED3E10431

How do I retrieve the content type with this when there is the extra 000C8331172150CA408534162ED3E10431

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 8:14 AM
  • I have figured it out.

The tutorial I followed for making my association didn't go into the details of being able to associate with content types and so I only had the add and update methods for assocation with a list.

I have added the required code to allow for association with a content type now and it appears to be working.

Your post on getting me to check my attachment to the list and content type got my brain in gear....taking a bit longer at the moment since I am counting down the days to summer holidays (4 weeks to go!!)

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 9:51 AM