none
Error 0xC004F074 when activating 2010 Pro Plus, no such error when activating Win7

Question

• Our environment has a KMS server for activation of Windows 7 and has worked well.  This past week we installed the key for Office 2010 Professional Plus but clients are unable to activate due to the error code 0xC004F074:

ERROR DESCRIPTION: The Software Licensing Service reported that the computer could not be activated. No Key Management Service (KMS) could be contacted. Please see the Application Event Log for additional information.

Our custom port is 1799, so we are activating with the commands as follows:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14>cscript ospp.vbs /sethst:OurKMSServer:1799

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14>cscript ospp.vbs /act

The first command processes fine, the second one generates the error.  We know it is not a normal communication problem because we can telnet over 1799 and as stated our Windows 7 clients are activating fine.  The logs make a reference to an RPC issue:

0xC0020017

The RPC Server is unavailable

Other possibly pertinent info: The client is x64 Windows 7 running the 32 bit version of Office 2010.  This does not appear to be happening on our Windows XP test machines.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this or how to resolve it?

• Edited by BryanCP Monday, May 17, 2010 3:16 PM Fixing typos
    Monday, May 17, 2010 2:28 PM

Answers

• The ospp.vbs script is slightly different... could you please run these commands on your client machine?

cscript ospp.vbs /sethst:YourKMSHostName

cscript ospp.vbs /setprt:1799

cscript ospp.vbs /act

Ted Way [MSFT], Program Manager, Microsoft Office: Enterprise Licensing, Group Policy, and 64-bit Office
    • Marked as answer by BryanCP Monday, May 17, 2010 8:01 PM
    Monday, May 17, 2010 5:12 PM

All replies

• The ospp.vbs script is slightly different... could you please run these commands on your client machine?

cscript ospp.vbs /sethst:YourKMSHostName

cscript ospp.vbs /setprt:1799

cscript ospp.vbs /act

Ted Way [MSFT], Program Manager, Microsoft Office: Enterprise Licensing, Group Policy, and 64-bit Office
    • Marked as answer by BryanCP Monday, May 17, 2010 8:01 PM
    Monday, May 17, 2010 5:12 PM
  • Excellent, that is it!  I think stacking the switches obviously was our problem.  Thanks very much for your help.

Bryan

Monday, May 17, 2010 8:01 PM
  • Probably a bit of a stupid question.

I didn't set up our KMS and can't find any of the build documents (stupid I know) but I need to find the host name and port number so I can do this. Would you be able to point me in the right direction so I can find it?

Thanks.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 3:18 PM
  • I'm still stuck with this problem. The activation works fine on my XP clients with Office 2010 pro but not on Windows 7 with Office 2010.

I ran the commands above but with portnumber 1688 instead.

I don't wanna use MAK for activation!

Monday, March 21, 2011 2:12 PM