none
Dell Optiplex 760 AHCI sysprep & driver problem RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having a problem imaging our new Optiplex 760 in AHCI mode. I can image the workstation when I set the HD to ATA mode in the BIOS. I can also set the BIOS back to AHCI mode after imaging (of course, I update the below devices, 3A22 & 3A02, with the newest driver.)

What happens is the following:

With the BIOS set to AHCI mode, I boot the machine from a Bart's PE USB drive.
    I run ghost and image the machine with XPSP3 that includes all of the drivers needed.
    Reboot the machine and the Windows logo with the blue status bar appears.
    The machine freezes, and reboots itself into the safe mode selection screen.
    What I have found so far is that the following devices are new for this system: (I think these are the culprit)

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A22&CC_0106
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A02&CC_0106

I have edited our sysprep.inf file to include the following in the [SysprepMassStorage] section:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2652&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\massstorage\old\iaahci.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2653&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\massstorage\old\iaahci.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_5029&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\massstorage\old\iaahci.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C1&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\massstorage\iaahci.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C5&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\massstorage\iaahci.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2681&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\massstorage\iaahci.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2821&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\massstorage\iaahci.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2829&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\massstorage\iaahci.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\massstorage\iaahci.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2929&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\massstorage\iaahci.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A02&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\massstorage\iaahci.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A22&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\massstorage\iaahci.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2652&CC_0104=c:\sysprep\massstorage\old\iastor.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2682&CC_0104=c:\sysprep\massstorage\iastor.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C3&CC_0104=c:\sysprep\massstorage\iastor.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C6&CC_0104=c:\sysprep\massstorage\iastor.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104=c:\sysprep\massstorage\iastor.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&CC_0104=c:\sysprep\massstorage\iastor.inf

The location c:\sysprep\massstorage folder contains the latest Intel Matrix Storage Manager drivers. I've tried the one on Dell's website (Version 8.5.0.1032, A15) for the 760 (Windows XP) and I've also tried the newest driver directly from Intel. The location c:\sysprep\massstorage\old refers to the previous device drivers for devices that aren't included in the new driver. This allows us to image all of the devices we currently have from Dell (D400-D430, D600-D630, D800-D830, E4200, E4300, E6400, E6500, Optiplex SX & GX 270, 280, 620, 745, 755 and now 760.) All of the devices that I listed except the Optiplex 760 are currently imaging fine in AHCI mode (where applicable and ATA mode where not.) We use Bart's PE as our boot environment and I can boot fine in AHCI mode.

I assume my problem is I'm either not listing a device in the [SysprepMassStorage] section of sysprep.inf...

OR

In the newest Matrix Storage Manager, the iaStor.inf and iaAHCI.inf have the following in the [ControlFlags] section: ExcludeFromSelect=*

I think previous versions of this driver have had a specific list of devices in the list, this one has all devices, hence the "*".

**UPDATE: The ControlFlags section does not impact this issue, it merely removes the device listing from certain user interface displays. My bad.

Please feel free to post any/all thoughts as I need to have this resolved ASAP.

Thanks!

Ben

Monday, December 8, 2008 8:13 PM

Answers

• Dude I totally figured this out!

First download the SATA drivers from Dell.  Download
    Copy the file onto the computer somewhere like c:\dell\drivers\?

So you turn ATA support on in the BIOS for the SATA controller.
    Boot into Safe Mode.
    Open Device Manager.
    Find the Primary IDE Channel device (there may be 3 listed, I picked the top one)
    Right click - Update driver
    "No at this time" - Next
    "Install from a list or specific location" - Next
    "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install" - Next
    Click - Have Disk
    Browse to the iaStor.inf file - Click Ok
    Choose the  "Intel(R) ICH10D/D0 SATA AHCI Controller" - Next
    Install it.
    Reboot
    Go into the BIOS and enable the AHCI support for the Sata.
    Reboot

Make your image from this box.
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 7:55 PM

All replies

• You could try and add an apply driver package step to your task sequence.

1) Create a new massstorage driver package

2) Put the new massstorage driver in this driver package

3) distribute driver package to dp's

4) add step to apply driver package just after apply device drivers step

5) Select the mass storage driver to use in the apply driver package step

6) in the options tab of the apply driver package step make sure this is only executed for the optiplex760, by adding a wmi requirement that reads something like "select * from win32_computersystem where model like "OptiPlex 760%"

• Proposed as answer by Steve Bobosky Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:55 PM
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 7:57 AM
  • Dude I totally figured this out!

Boot into Safe Mode.
    Open Device Manager.
    Find the Primary IDE Channel device (there may be 3 listed, I picked the top one)
    "No at this time" - Next
    Click - Have Disk
    Install it.
    Reboot
    Reboot

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 7:55 PM
  • I think Kim and Bob are pointing you in the right directions. If you need some screenshots for a different model, but to give you the idea then check out systemcentertools.blogspot.com.

Steve Bobosky - ConfigMgr MVP - www.systemcentertools.com
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:54 PM
  • Hello Ben!

Thank you very much for documenting your 760/AHCI problem.  Unfortunately, I cannot help you since I have the EXACT same problem.  Did you ever resolve this complex non-documented issue?

Thanks for any information.  I truly appreciate your time!!

Danny
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 4:45 PM
  • Personally, I use a program called nlite to slipstream the drivers into the Windows XP SP3 disk.  Great free program that does much more.  Fixed my issue with imaging in AHCI mode.  You need to create the image in AHCI mode though.  Hope this helps.

http://www.nliteos.com/index.html
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:08 PM
  • Hello Ben,

Since I have the verry same problem I am verry eager to know if you have solved this.
    The nLite options is not possible for us since the image we use is delivered to us. ( The sourcefiles are locked )

Regards,

Bas Steelooper
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 1:43 PM
  • Hakkerjak-

Go into your system setup or BIOS screen and change the option for your Drives from AHCI to ATA and it will be able to load.  I also use nLite to slipstream SP3 and was receiving a stop error.  Switching this function allowed the system to work for me.

Good luck.
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 7:27 PM
  • Hello,

Changing the SATA Operation mode to ATA reduces performance. At least that is what I am told........

After changing the SATA Operation mode the machine installs alright....

Going to try to capture an image from that machine and see what happens :-(

Regards,

Bas Steelooper
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 8:01 AM
  • Bob The Terrible, where were you when I was trying to install the AHCI drivers for the Dell 755?!

This worked like a charm!

Boot into Safe Mode.
    Open Device Manager.
    "No at this time" - Next
    Click - Have Disk
    Install it.
    Reboot
    Reboot

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 5:08 PM
  • Hello,

I got the same problem imaging Windows XP SP3 for WDS deployement.
    Using sysprep with modified sysprep.inf, my Optiplex 760 reboot itself during Windows start.

I solved the problem renaming the file IaStor.sys from driver R208364 to iaStor.sys in C:\drivers\R208364\

Then sysprep -bmsd and sysprep -reseal -mini done the trick.

++

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 11:17 AM
  • I think you all didn't get the point. We also have this problem.

How to reproduce:
    1. Build a master machine on VMware

2. Copy the Intel AHCI driver on C:\drivers\iaStor

3. In Sysprep.inf announce this driver in [SysprepMassStorage]

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&CC_0104=C:\drivers\iaStor\iaStor.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2829&CC_0106=C:\drivers\iaStor\iaahci.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104=C:\drivers\iaStor\iaStor.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2821&CC_0106=C:\drivers\iaStor\iaahci.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2682&CC_0104=C:\drivers\iaStor\iaStor.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2681&CC_0106=C:\drivers\iaStor\iaahci.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C3&CC_0104=C:\drivers\iaStor\iaStor.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C6&CC_0104=C:\drivers\iaStor\iaStor.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C1&CC_0106=C:\drivers\iaStor\iaahci.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C5&CC_0106=C:\drivers\iaStor\iaahci.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2652&CC_0104=C:\drivers\iaStor\iaStor.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2652&CC_0106=C:\drivers\iaStor\iaahci.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2653&CC_0106=C:\drivers\iaStor\iaahci.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_29B6&CC_0106=C:\drivers\iaStor\iaahci.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&CC_0106=C:\drivers\iaStor\iaahci.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_5029&CC_0106=C:\drivers\iaStor\iaahci.inf

4. Make Sysprep on this VMware machine and make an image of it

5. Install this image on Dell Optiplex 760 and reboot

voila

To remind you, with Optiplex 620, 745, 755, Latitude D630, D830 and so on this works well.

Thursday, March 19, 2009 8:26 AM
  • Just have the same issue making an image using RIS and booting the NIC with PXE. Was able to  load the image of a flat XPSP3 load the drivers and then crash after sending the image to server and loaded in machine. Now I am new using this RIS system I have used Ghost in the past. So I dont have much of the experience with this setup.

From the answer I saw from Bob about the settings can I do this with a pc that:

I already loaded the drivers then do the safe mode or do I have to start fresh using the flat image load the driver etc?

What about the storage drivers deal? Do this has tobe done also?

Is any way I can make a flat image with XP3 that have the drivers loaded that can work also for the Dell E series laptops or do I have to make separate images? Did try nlite and put the drivers in SP3 but crash on me. Guess I was doing this wrong.

Any help offered will be appreciated and please explain in plain lame english.

Thank you
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 1:31 PM
  • The BobThe Terrible solution did not worked for me got an error when trying to image the machine. What I am doing wrong can anyone help?
    • Proposed as answer by Andy Raybould Friday, May 1, 2009 1:03 PM
    Monday, March 23, 2009 4:33 PM
  • I avoid using a VM as a master build for physical hardware, especially for XP, because VMs don't fully support ACPI HALs.

If you can, work in reverse (start with a physical master build, then adapt the resulting build or image to virtual host requirements).

I used a physical master PC and adjusted my sysprep and drivers folder structure to support the 760. See details below...

My image can boot the Optiplex 760 in AHCI mode, and Latitude E-Series in AHCI/IRRT modes (supports changing BIOS setting to whatever you desire at first-time bootup - it may not boot if you try to change SATA settings once mini-setup completes)

I was able to get my image to first-time boot into minisetup from all the above hardware scenarios using nothing but a OEMPNPDRIVERSPATH entry, a modified SysprepMassStorage section in c:\sysprep\sysprep.inf,  and a launch of c:\sysprep\sysprep.exe -mini -reseal -quiet. Here's what I did:

- My master build is WinXP Pro VL with integrated SP3, uses the ACPI Multiprocessor HAL, standard IDE controller, and was created from scratch CD on a Latitude D620

- I had no drivers or apps preinstalled other than what is natively detected or native to the OS. OS Security updates were also added.

- I copied my custom sysprep folder structure to C:\sysprep so that my c:\sysprep\syprep.inf is already in place BEFORE I launch c:\sysprep\sysprep.exe. Sysprep.exe will only read your sysprep.inf when it is pre-copied to c:\sysprep\sysprep.inf

- my 'OEMPNPDriversPath=' line already had an entry, ";drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo;"  this would be the equivalent of c:\drivers\intelchipsetaudiovideo

- I copied the SATA controllers from Dell's 760 SATA XP driver download package into C:\drivers\intelchipsetaudiovideo (don't make the mistake of downloading 64-bit drivers for a 32-bit build).

- the [SysprepMassStorage] section in my c:\sysprep\sysprep.inf needed the following additions:

;SATA AHCI Controllers

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C1&CC_0106=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iaahci.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C5&CC_0106=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iaahci.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2681&CC_0106=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iaahci.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2821&CC_0106=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iaahci.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2829&CC_0106=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iaahci.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&CC_0106=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iaahci.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2929&CC_0106=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iaahci.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A02&CC_0106=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iaahci.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A22&CC_0106=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iaahci.inf

;SATA RAID or IRRT Controllers

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&CC_0104=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iastor.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iastor.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C6&CC_0104=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iastor.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2682&CC_0104=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iastor.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C3&CC_0104=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iastor.inf

- I ran c:\sysprep\syprep.exe -mini -reseal -quiet

- I created my ghost image, then successfully loaded and booted the image on a 760 running in AHCI mode

• Proposed as answer by dangrrr Thursday, April 30, 2009 9:21 PM
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 9:14 PM
  • Hi Loida

BobThe Terrible didn't work for me either BUT it almost did and all I had to do was choose ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI and all was then OK. So it may be worth trying some of the other drivers - look for someting similar to your existing one.

Good luck...and thanks to BobTheTerrible for the initial idea and drivers.
    Friday, May 1, 2009 1:07 PM
  • Hi all,

Yes, BobThe Terrible's idea works too. My only advice for those who wish to adapt that strategy is this:

- examine pre-loaded OEM brick builds before wiping them out. Take screenshots of the Controller devices in Device Manager
    - if your PC didn't come pre-loaded with an OEM windows installation, then it will be very tedious trying one device after another.
            - iaahci.inf has about 10 different devices to choose from - and the list changes every time Intel updates chipsets.
            - iastor.inf has about 5 different devices to choose from - and the list can change whenever Intel updates chipsets.
    Friday, May 1, 2009 4:04 PM
  • How do I know which AHCI controller to choose from?
    Monday, May 4, 2009 8:55 PM
  • In my case, it was trial and error - and a lot of patience!
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 8:09 AM
  • Thanks BobtheTerrible!  Who wants to run in ATA?  you da man.
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 6:36 PM
  •      This is a lot of trouble to put a square peg into a round hole. AHCI (Advanced Harddrive Control Interface) is after winXP time. WinXP was built with SATA. Do your own resarch on AHCI and SATA. To install a driver in winXP that will translate everything from winXP SATA to the hard drive controllers in AHCI and back to winXP SATA is just looking for trouble. Alot of extra work going on that way. WinXP only knows SATA, the motherboard supports SATA, get rid of the middle man (AHCI software drivers). Set the bios to SATA and move on. WinXP can not reap the benefits of AHCI. We did manage to image 80 Dell 755 with a WinXP/sp3 AHCI image. Shortly afterwards alot of these computers developed unknown problems with programs hanging and PCs crashing. Nothing in the event logs. As these computers began acting up we reimaged them with a winXP/sp3 Sata image. Problem solved.

Thursday, May 28, 2009 6:29 PM
  • Oh how I wish...

Unfortunately, today's hardware BIOS defaults aren't setup to run in legacy SATA Operation Mode (I assume you are referring to legacy SATA Operation Mode) unless you pay the OEM to set it for you.

Today's hardware BIOS (the 760 is no exception) is setup to run in SATA AHCI mode by default.

Either way, there is extra work (whether it's getting the AHCI drivers to work, or switching the BIOS settings).

I'd say use AHCI mode unless specifically instructed otherwise by any software vendors who are currently struggling with AHCI support.
    Monday, June 1, 2009 2:57 PM
  • Try updating your OSDWinpe.wim with SATA support.  Here's the instruction.
    <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} p {mso-margin-top-alt:auto; margin-right:0in; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} span.EmailStyle17 {mso-style-type:personal; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-ascii-font-family:Arial; mso-hansi-font-family:Arial; mso-bidi-font-family:Arial;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/cnackers/Mass%20Storage/Adding%20Sata%20Support%20to%20WINPE%20and%20SMS%202003%20OSD.doc

Good luck and let me know if this works or not.

Thanks.

Ronald
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 12:00 AM
  • Hi Ben,

i had the same problem lately with the same Dell machine.
    after a long time of trial&error it was pretty easy in the end.
    just build your base image within VirtualPC. then you have a old HAL in the Image.
    then in your deployment task sequence use the AHCI SATA Driver and the ZTIHalDetect.vbs which you can find on the internet.
    and voila you can deploy it to your dell 760 and also other machines which make trouble because of lousy AHCI drivers.

bye
    Friday, July 10, 2009 2:59 PM
  • This worked perfectly.  Thanks!
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 1:42 AM
  • bobtheterrible did the job!
    yea works for me also
    2 simple remarks:
    1   ive downloaded the latest driver of Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager   ( instead from the link mentioned from dell within bob message) (the latest name is IATA89ENU.exe .
    2   dont execute it. first extract the exe file. do it like this: from command line type IATA89ENU.exe -a . this will extract the files to the directory "C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\winall\Driver" and iaStor.inf will be listed in this directory. now you can continue by bobtheterrible guidance
    jokop
    Monday, January 18, 2010 12:24 PM
  • This totally works!

Thanks and a really good time saver.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 12:15 AM