none
ECP internal and external url RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to understand the ecp virtual directory external URL. If I don't set it and leave it empty, does it mean outside my network (from internet) that it can't be accessed? Currently i have both internal and external set up as 'mail.mycompany.com'. From both Internet and intranet, it can be accessed using https://mail.mycompany.com. If I remove external url from Exch Admin Center, does it mean it can't be accessed from Internet? How does it know the connection is from Internet or from intranet?

THanks.

Alan

Tuesday, March 24, 2020 1:31 AM

All replies

• Your auto discover,  mapi(outlook), outlook anywhere,active sync functions will not work outside your network(external network). 

Tuesday, March 24, 2020 5:33 PM
  • Hi Alan,

>> If I don't set it and leave it empty, does it mean outside my network (from internet) that it can't be accessed?

No. Exchange admin center (EAC) will still be accessed via https://mail.mycompany.com/ecp from the Internet, as long as a corresponding record is configured in your public DNS. Based on my knowledge, ECP isn’t usually accessed by applications that use Autodiscover, so removing the URL settings for ECP VDirs won’t affect its access. Actually, to prevent users from accessing the (EAC) from the Internet, we would need to follow the procedure in Turn off access to the Exchange admin center.

>> How does it know the connection is from Internet or from intranet?

If the client is joined to the same domain as Exchange and is connecting to the same network, it will be recognized as an internal connection. Otherwise, it’s an external connection.

For more detailed explanation, you may refer to the “Internal URLs vs External URLs” and “VDirs Where the URL Settings Don’t Matter” part in the article below:

What do Exchange Virtual Directories Do?

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards, 

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 25, 2020 6:45 AM
  • Hi Alan,

Just checked in to see if the information above was helpful. If you find the any of the previous replies useful, it would be appreciated that you can mark it as answer so that others who might encounter a same issue can benefit from your thread. If you still have question on this topic, please feel free to post back. 

Regards, 

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 31, 2020 2:02 AM