Internal Server Error (500) when quickly logging back in to access SharePoint 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• We have configured UAG to provide access to a SharePoint Server 2007 web site.  Users are logging in using the SharePoint's public host name (set in web settings).

When a user clicks on "Sign Out" in the SharePoint menu, and then quickly (within 5 seconds) click on 'click here to log on again' on the UAG's  LogOffMsg page, a 500 error is appearing.

I believe the issue involves the PersistForOffice cookie.  It is not deleted after logging off (or perhaps it is immediately being recreated).  If I stopped it from being created by changing SharePoint.asp, the problem disappears, but I don't doubt this is a sensible workaround.

Regards,
    Steve.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 3:05 PM

Answers

• OK, I think I have a workaround for this issue.

Basically, add a SAR rule to the custom WhlFiltSecureRemote_HTTPS.xml to remove the domain attribute when the PersistForOffice cookie is being set to expire.

<DATA_CHANGE>
     <APPLICATION>
      <APPLICATION_TYPE>InternalSite</APPLICATION_TYPE>
      <URL>
       <NAME>/InternalSite/LogOffMsg\.asp.*</NAME>
       <SEARCH>; domain=;</SEARCH>
       <REPLACE>;</REPLACE>
      </URL>
     </APPLICATION>
    </DATA_CHANGE>
    • Marked as answer by S Lang Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:33 AM
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:33 AM

All replies

• The PersistForOffice cookie is being created (in SharePoint.asp) without a domain attribute.  LogOffMsg.asp is failing to delete the cookie because it specifies a domain attribute, although it is set to nothing.  So IE8 seems to be treating then as different cookies. 

Is there something I need to configure to ensure the domain attribute is included when it is created in SharePoint.asp?

Regards,
    Steve.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 4:00 PM
  • This is a known issue for SharePoint 2010. It might also be an issue for SharePoint 2007 (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd772157.aspx)

When logging off from a SharePoint 2010 site and logging in again using the "Click here to log on again" link, an Error 500 might appear. To avoid this, wait a short time after logging off before you log in again.

James.

Thursday, July 1, 2010 7:17 AM
  • OK, I think I have a workaround for this issue.

Basically, add a SAR rule to the custom WhlFiltSecureRemote_HTTPS.xml to remove the domain attribute when the PersistForOffice cookie is being set to expire.

<DATA_CHANGE>
     <APPLICATION>
      <APPLICATION_TYPE>InternalSite</APPLICATION_TYPE>
      <URL>
       <NAME>/InternalSite/LogOffMsg\.asp.*</NAME>
       <SEARCH>; domain=;</SEARCH>
       <REPLACE>;</REPLACE>
      </URL>
     </APPLICATION>
    </DATA_CHANGE>
    • Marked as answer by S Lang Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:33 AM
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:33 AM