none
VMM 2019 - Adding Hyper-V Server 2019 still fails RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

the wait is finally over. Half a year after the release of the Hypervisor, MS finally releases the management tooling to go along with it. But alas... I'm still unable to add Hyper-V Server 2019 to VMM. We also have some Windows Server 2019 Datacenter with Hyper-V role enabled, those we can add just fine.

Adding Hyper-V Server 2019 (17763.1.180914-1434.rs5_release_SERVERHYPERCORE_OEM_x64FRE_en-us.iso) results in an error at poing 1.4: Enable Hyper-V, followed by an error at 1.4.1: Enable Network Virtualization feature. Exactly the same as with VMM 1807. But I can't even find a mention of it in the VMM log files.

I know VMM 2019 has just been released, but is anyone else seeing this issue?

Thursday, March 14, 2019 1:02 PM

All replies

• As far as I know Hyper-V Server 2019 was not re-release yet. The version that you are using was recalled in October. 

Microsoft Certified Professional

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Thursday, March 14, 2019 4:36 PM
  • It's certainly available. Hyper-V Server goes through the evaluation center and it's right here: Link

Also, the cumulative updates contain specific updates for Hyper-V Server, like the rdp-not-functional bug. Hyper-V swrvyis out and supported. I assume VMM is still borked.

Thursday, March 14, 2019 5:11 PM
  • It is not. Try to download, you will be redirected to 

https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/windowsserver/2018/11/13/update-on-windows-server-2019-availability/

Quite sure it was not re-released yet... 

Read this blog

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-Server-Insiders/Where-is-Hyper-V-Server-2019/td-p/307500

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered"Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Thursday, March 14, 2019 5:30 PM
  • I can install 2019 Core on a host and add it to VMM 2019 (and 2016) with no issues. I cannot deploy a bare metal install of 2019 with VMM at all. It always crashes with an 80004005 error during the Enabling Hyper-V step. It sounds eerily like your issue. The logs give me zero data about it. I will be watching your thread for a fix for this as well.
    Tuesday, March 19, 2019 8:23 PM
  • Same issue here.  The log files show that it's looking for the WIM file source.
    Thursday, March 21, 2019 9:54 PM
  • Matej was right: https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/windowsserver/2018/11/13/update-on-windows-server-2019-availability/ now shows:

Updated on April 8, 2019:
    As we were getting ready to publish Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2019 in the Evaluation Center, we found some issues with the media. We are actively working on resolving it. We will release it soon and provide an update here. This does not affect the Windows Server 2019 that is already available for purchase as well as for trial through the Evaluation Center.

I wonder if existing installs will be ok with updates. Those updates being cumulative I would think so (KB4482887 even had specific Hyper-V server RDP fixes) but still... Wouldn't want to reinstall all of them...

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 6:32 AM
  • We hit the same issue, but found a workaround: Generate the VHDX-file to be deployed using Convert-WindowsImage.

There is also a nice wrapper script for it available here.

I'm not sure whether the issue is a bug or by design.

If it is not a bug, the documentation should be updated:

"To create the virtual hard disk, you can create a virtual machine, install the guest operating system, and then use sysprep with the /generalize and the /oobe options."

Jan Egil Ring

Blog: http://www.powershell.no
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/janegilring

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 10:49 AM
  • Just installed 17763.557.190612-0019.rs5_release_svc_refresh_SERVERHYPERCORE_OEM_x64FRE_en-us and still seeing the issue trying to add the host to VMM 2019:

Error (20594)
    The Windows feature NetworkVirtualization could not be enabled on the computer hirluin.shavlik.com because of the following error: Unknown error (0x800f080c)

Is there a version of Hyper-V Server 2019 that is compatible with VMM 2019?

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 2:50 AM
  • Same here. I just don't understand where Microsoft wants us to go (besides to Azure, which we won't). It's all so incoherent. Imagine VMWare releasing a new VMWare version, which isn't manageable by vCenter or whatever it's called nowadays. And not for a few weeks after release, which I COULD bring up some sympathy for, but no, Hyper-V was released around November 2018, which is 8 months ago now. Yes, it's been pulled back, but we for instance got it when it was first release, and rolled it out on about 10 hosts because 'It's the best thing ever!'

8 months have passed, and we still can't properly manage them by VMM. What a farce.

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 8:12 AM
  • Same error here, but simply restarting VMM server and refreshing the host fixed my problem. 

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 12:31 PM
  • When I try to add a Hyper-V 2019 host, and it fails, it's removed again. Or do you restart the VMM service DURING the adding of a host? As doing so logs this error on my VMM:

Error (1700)
    The Virtual Machine Manager service on the <VMM server> server stopped while this job was running. This may have been caused by a system restart.

What version of VMM are you running? 10.19.1013.0?
    Tuesday, June 18, 2019 1:11 PM
  • I cannot even add a host.
    Tuesday, June 18, 2019 4:44 PM
  • In my situation it is not removed, but somehow stuck in adding state. Try installing the agent manually and add it to VMM. 

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 6:54 PM
  • Did that. Same result.
    Tuesday, June 18, 2019 8:21 PM
  • A simple question: has anyone successfully added a Windows Server 2019 Hyper-V host to VMM 2019?
    Wednesday, June 19, 2019 11:29 PM
  • Well I did. I will do some additional testing and let you know the results. 

Thursday, June 20, 2019 5:46 AM
  • A simple question: has anyone successfully added a Windows Server 2019 Hyper-V host to VMM 2019?

Well, that was my initial question :)

In a test setup I did some additional testing. I added a Hyper-V Server 2019 host, and immediately after starting that job I stopped the VMM service. Usually, when the service restarts, any jobs that were running are picked up or rolled back, dependent of the type of job it was. When VMM stops when adding a host, it will remove the host again. So using SQL I removed the job from the TaskTrail and SubtaskTrail tables. Restarting VMM now at least leaves the host alone, and keeps it in the GUI. But refresh for example is greyed out. That's because the State field in ADHC_Host for that specific host is 0, which is 2 for active hosts. So I edited that to 2, restarted VMM service again and look and behold, now I can at least 'work' with the host from the VMM GUI.

But still, refreshing it shows the version of the virtualization software or the VMM agent is unsupported. The agent is certainly the latest version that VMM itself 'hosts', being 10.19.1013.0 at this moment.

So, even IF this worked, or we get it to work, it's certainly not supported by any means of course. But I really wonder if anyone actually added a Hyper-V Server 2019 host to VMM 2019, rather than a core-server with Hyper-V role, as that's a different thing.

Thursday, June 20, 2019 10:37 AM

• So, even IF this worked, or we get it to work, it's certainly not supported by any means of course. But I really wonder if anyone actually added a Hyper-V Server 2019 host to VMM 2019, rather than a core-server with Hyper-V role, as that's a different thing.

I agree, it is not supported. Currently VMM 2019 can manage Windows Server 2016 and 2019 (Core and GUI), so no Hyper-V Server support. 

Monday, June 24, 2019 10:08 AM
  • is that the hash of your ISO?

17763.557.190612-0019.rs5_release_svc_refresh_SERVERHYPERCORE_OEM_x64FRE_en-
    us.iso

SHA256          CB28984AF65BA1085CD6ADE5FDD3D9C75EFE7618846513F9AD44F1397A409F85

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 10:26 PM
  • Hi Matej,

MS never listed there Hyper-V (baremetal) version explicit it seems:

see 2016, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center/vmm/system-requirements?view=sc-vmm-2016#servers-in-the-vmm-fabric

So I would not some to the conclusion that VMM 2019 doesn't support any "HyperV"

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 10:30 PM
  • Sure, that's my exact SHA256. Why?
    Wednesday, June 26, 2019 3:25 PM
  • I'm having a similar issue. VMM2019 on Server 2019. When i try adding my two hyper-v 2019 hosts it gives me the same error about network virtualization. Both hosts are fully up to date.
    Thursday, June 27, 2019 9:53 PM
  • Hi,

I've been following this whilst i've had a ticket open with Microsoft/VMM Team. After numerous remote sessions, log submissions and admissions that it's causing issues for a lot of customers they have finally come back to me this week and stated that VMM 2019 with Hyper-V Server 2019 is an unsupported scenario. Exact quote is:

"As per the discussion with internal team we have got to know that hyper v 2019  is not supported with VMM 2019.

VMM 2019 support WS 2019 as managed hosts. However due to some changes in Hyper-V Server 2019, currently you cannot add the same to VMM 2019."

As people have discovered, and as MS have "kindly suggested" to me, Windows Server 2019 Std/DC running Hyper-V Role with VMM 2019 are supported scenarios. Following a conversation with an "escalation engineer" today no time frame could be given when the VMM 2019/Hyper-V Server 2019 scenario might be supported. I'm not sure if there are workarounds or other unsupported methods that might get this working, but for now it looks like i'll be either be individually managing 2019 hosts with Hyper-V Manager or reverting to using Hyper-V Server 2016.

Thursday, August 29, 2019 12:37 PM