Problem with installing and enabling WOW64 feature on Windows server 2008 R2 Standard Edition SP1(full installation) RRS feed

• Question

• We have tried to install the WOW64 feature on Windows server 2008 R2 Standard Edition SP1 (full installation), but are not able to do that. Below is the list of commands that we tried and their results

Dism /online /get-features /format:table        [This command does not list the ServerCore-WOW64 feature itself]

Start /w ocsetup ServerCore-WOW64                                          [The specified windows component could not be found]
    Start /w ocsetup NetFx3-ServerCore-WOW64                               [The specified windows component could not be found]
    dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:ServerCore-WOW64      [Feature name ServerCore-WOW64 is unknown]

I have located the SysWow64 folder in “C:\windows” directory; this means that this feature is installed. But I cannot understand why the above commands do not work. Help needed. 
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 7:02 AM

Answers

• Hi,

ServerCore-WOW64 is a feature for the core installation of Windows Server 2008 R2. You have a full installation of Windows Server 2008 R2, so there is no way to enable ServerCore-WOW64.

As you mentioned, there is a folder SysWow64 n “C:\windows” directory, so you don’t have to enable it again.

By the way, if you run dism /online/get-features and you will be able to find there isn’t a feature include WOW64 in the output.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

• Proposed as answer by Santosh Bhandarkar Thursday, November 17, 2011 10:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Daewooo Thursday, November 17, 2011 10:41 AM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 4:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

ServerCore-WOW64 is a feature for the core installation of Windows Server 2008 R2. You have a full installation of Windows Server 2008 R2, so there is no way to enable ServerCore-WOW64.

As you mentioned, there is a folder SysWow64 n “C:\windows” directory, so you don’t have to enable it again.

By the way, if you run dism /online/get-features and you will be able to find there isn’t a feature include WOW64 in the output.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

• Proposed as answer by Santosh Bhandarkar Thursday, November 17, 2011 10:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Daewooo Thursday, November 17, 2011 10:41 AM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 4:41 PM
  • Vincent,

I'm setting up a production Win2008 R2 server that has to run 32-bit app. I ran the following and ServerCore-wow64 is nowhere to be found, which led me to several of your posts about the server being a full install instead of core install.

dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:ServerCore-WOW64

Would you please enlighten me a bit on the difference? Are we not supposed to use full install for production? Why is such a critical feature missing from full install? How are we supposed to get full install to support 32-bit app?

Thanks.

Jan Arnoldus

Friday, February 24, 2012 8:29 PM
  • How about an answer Microsoft??

Thursday, August 30, 2012 7:48 PM
  • This is very frustrating. I am having the same issue and now it sounds as though I have to rebuild the server using ServerCore as opposed to Full install? Seems counter-intuitive to me that features would be unavailable in the Full install and only available in the 'Core' install.

GHBunce

Friday, December 7, 2012 6:25 PM