none
how to create a Workspace for a Proposal [2007] RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In Project Server 2007, when I save and publish a Proposal, the sytem doesn't ask for a Workspace. To link a document on one task of this Proposal, we need a Worspace...

How can we do that?

Thanks 

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 1:50 PM

Answers

• I notice that if the Automatically Provisioning is set to "Automatically", the published proposals will create a workspace.

If "Automatic Provisioning" is set to "Allow user to manuall...", the published proposals will not create a workspace.  

Hello Michael,

I confirm: I noticed exactly the same behavior!

Thursday, July 29, 2010 8:09 PM
  • If you do have the sites not created automatically then you can create a site for your published proposal via the Project Workspaces option in server settings.  It will be based on whichever template is currently set in the Project Workspace Provisioning Settings page.  You can also do this via the PSI.

In 2010 one of my favourite features is the Enterprise Project Types (EPT) which allows you to specify not just a project template, but also a WSS template for any new projects created based on that EPT.  Also notice in 2010 that the term Project Workspaces has been replaced with Project Sites.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    • Marked as answer by WLID1966 Friday, July 30, 2010 11:46 AM
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 9:13 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Hello WLID1966

I had a similiar requirement.  I had to convert the proposal into a project and then when I publish, I can create workspace.  Of course, you knew that.  I also created a custom field called "Phase" in which phase one is "Proposal".   I modified reports to filter and only show proposals.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 2:23 PM
  • Hello Michael,

Thanks for that confirmation.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 3:46 PM
  • Michael,

I checked my own documents on Project Server 2007, and I have some screen shots which prove that the RTM version allowed to attach documents on a Proposal...

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 4:21 PM
  • In Project Server 2007,if I remember correctly, a workspace is created by default for proposals (whereas you always got the option within MS Project).
    Ben Howard [MVP] http://appleparkltd.spaces.live.com/
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 5:25 PM
  • Ben,

With 2007 SP2 + Dec CU, it seems that it doesn't work any longer :(

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 8:43 PM
  • Hello WLID1966

I learn something everyday.  I didn't realize that if you PUBLISHED a proposal, that it also created a workspace.  I thought it only made the proposal available for others to see.

I am running 2007 SP2, but I do not have the DEC CU loaded.

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 8:58 PM
  • Hello WILD1966  or should i say Wild One.

I notice that if the Automatically Provisioning is set to "Automatically", the published proposals will create a workspace.

If "Automatic Provisioning" is set to "Allow user to manuall...", the published proposals will not create a workspace.  I was expecting the abilty to choose which template to use.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 9:05 PM
  • Hi Wlid1966,

I suspect something else has broken on your system then.  Certainly the functionality works as descripbed on all versions of PS2007 with SPs and CUs.  Anything in your ULS logs?

Ben Howard [MVP] http://appleparkltd.spaces.live.com/
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 9:17 AM
  • I notice that if the Automatically Provisioning is set to "Automatically", the published proposals will create a workspace.

If "Automatic Provisioning" is set to "Allow user to manuall...", the published proposals will not create a workspace.  

Hello Michael,

I confirm: I noticed exactly the same behavior!

Thursday, July 29, 2010 8:09 PM
  • If you do have the sites not created automatically then you can create a site for your published proposal via the Project Workspaces option in server settings.  It will be based on whichever template is currently set in the Project Workspace Provisioning Settings page.  You can also do this via the PSI.

In 2010 one of my favourite features is the Enterprise Project Types (EPT) which allows you to specify not just a project template, but also a WSS template for any new projects created based on that EPT.  Also notice in 2010 that the term Project Workspaces has been replaced with Project Sites.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    • Marked as answer by WLID1966 Friday, July 30, 2010 11:46 AM
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 9:13 PM
    Owner
  • You can create a site for your published proposal via the Project Workspaces option in Server Settings.  It will be based on whichever template is currently set in the Project Workspace Provisioning Settings page. 
    Yes, that works !
    Friday, July 30, 2010 11:46 AM