Windows Update Issues RRS feed

• Question

• I have  been  having a  lot of  problems   with  Windows  Update  -  I think  previously  wsus  was used to manage updates.

I have  taken that  role  off  and decided to manually manage updates. 

The  issue is that   the   clients  computers  can now not get  updates, is there  any way i can  get  rid of - "Some  updates  are managed  by your  administrator "?

Or better still,  can  i detach completely  the  client machine  in this  case  (windows  7 host) from getting  updates  from WSUS ?

And  force it to  get updates   directly from Microsoft  

I have  been through the process of  changing  (configure  automatic updates in GPO ) STILL   NO  SUCCESS

Please  help me  

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 11:46 PM

Answers

• is there  any way i can  get  rid of - "Some  updates  are managed  by your  administrator "?

Or better still,  can  i detach completely  the  client machine  in this  case  (windows  7 host) from getting  updates  from WSUS ?

I have  been through the process of  changing  (configure  automatic updates in GPO ) STILL   NO  SUCCESS

"Some  updates  are managed  by your  administrator "  =  group policy is being applied to the setting..

Restart the client machine and after the restart, at the client machine, open an elevated CMD console (run as admin), then execute:

gpresult /h somefilename.html

This will generate an RSoP html file which you can open with your web browser, and can examine the Group Policy (resultant/effective) settings.
    This should show which Group Policy (either a domain policy or a local policy) is applying the WUServer settings.

It's possible, that you might have more than one policy delivering the 'use WSUS server' setting, or, the GP change had not yet taken effect or another restart of the client machine was needed?

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

• Marked as answer by Adejumo Friday, January 6, 2017 1:16 AM
    Thursday, January 5, 2017 12:24 AM
  • Hi Adejumo,

Based on my understanding, you want to make clients not to update from WSUS server and want to manage updates manually.

Then, you may delete registry key in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate, delete "AU" totally. Then the WSUS settings and AU settings will be removed.

Notice, if you use GPO to deploy the settings, then after deleting the register keys, also ensure you disable or delete the related GPO, otherwise, the settings will be applied again.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 5, 2017 3:26 AM

All replies

• is there  any way i can  get  rid of - "Some  updates  are managed  by your  administrator "?

"Some  updates  are managed  by your  administrator "  =  group policy is being applied to the setting..

Restart the client machine and after the restart, at the client machine, open an elevated CMD console (run as admin), then execute:

gpresult /h somefilename.html

This will generate an RSoP html file which you can open with your web browser, and can examine the Group Policy (resultant/effective) settings.
    This should show which Group Policy (either a domain policy or a local policy) is applying the WUServer settings.

It's possible, that you might have more than one policy delivering the 'use WSUS server' setting, or, the GP change had not yet taken effect or another restart of the client machine was needed?

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

• Marked as answer by Adejumo Friday, January 6, 2017 1:16 AM
    Thursday, January 5, 2017 12:24 AM
  • Hi Adejumo,

Based on my understanding, you want to make clients not to update from WSUS server and want to manage updates manually.

Then, you may delete registry key in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate, delete "AU" totally. Then the WSUS settings and AU settings will be removed.

Notice, if you use GPO to deploy the settings, then after deleting the register keys, also ensure you disable or delete the related GPO, otherwise, the settings will be applied again.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 5, 2017 3:26 AM
  • Thanks Don,  I did  go through that file and saw all the policies that  apply  to that  Machine  -  This  gave  me a good  overview on the  GPO Settings.  Following Anne's post below , I ended up deleting the  AU  folder under the Registry and  i was good after that.  Basically  now the machine is now getting updates  directly from Microsoft which is exactly what i  wanted.   

Thanks to  all 

Friday, January 6, 2017 1:19 AM
  •  I ended up deleting the  AU  folder under the Registry and  i was good after that.  Basically  now the machine is now getting updates  directly from Microsoft which is exactly what i  wanted.

Thanks alot

Friday, January 6, 2017 1:19 AM