AppV 5.1 client compatability with 5.0SP2 server infrastructure? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi friends,

I work at a University and we are currently running APPV 5.0 SP2 in full infrastructure mode for streaming.

We plan to upgrade the server to APPV 5.1 later this year (probably December).  However, we are building workstation images now and we always install the APPV client on the base software image.

I am wondering if anyone knows if the APPV 5.1 client is compatable with an APPV 5.0 SP2 server?  If it is, it means we can update our images now with the latest client, and still use our existing APPV 5.0 infrastructure at the backend until we are ready to update the server towards the end of the year.

Anyone know if this will work?

Cheers,

John.

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 2:55 AM

Answers

• MS statement is to upgrade backend first, then sequencer, then client (always, with any hotfix/SPs from Appv).
    I have not tested it myself, but it will probably work as long as you don't use any features the new backend is giving you (using dynamic connectiongroups for instance, which is actually a SP3 feature). 

I would normally agree with that, but when I upgraded to 5.1, I noticed their stance has changed.  If you check out this page, it says that you can upgrade the components in any order.

Before my upgrade to 5.1 was complete, I had 5.1 clients talking to 5.0 servers and everything was fine.  I also tested upgrading the backend first and having 5.0 clients talk to 5.1 servers.  It really didn't seem to make a difference.

Friday, September 11, 2015 12:47 PM
  • Hi Joe,

I do agree but 5.0 Servers wont support Windows 10.

(Please click on "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", if it has helped you. )

I would have to disagree with that.  I didn't do any direct testing with different versions of windows, but I had multiple clients running Windows 10 ( that were upgraded from Windows 8 ) and they had no problem running 5.0SP3 and talking to 5.0 servers.  

I know that 5.1 adds a target-able operating system for Windows 10, but the default has been to allow the app to run any operating system for a while now (not sure why you would want to limit the scope of your app, but I'm sure there are scenarios that would present that as a necessity).  I guess it's possible that, if you have selected a specific operating system to allow the application run on, it won't know about windows 10 and it could stop it from executing.  But thats really the client and the appv package at that point, and not necessarily the servers...

Friday, September 11, 2015 1:42 PM

All replies

• I am not sure about App V 5.0 SP2 as I didn't test this case but App-V 5.0 Sp3 will support App-V 5.1 client but it will not work in Windows 10.

(Please click on "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", if it has helped you. )

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 4:53 AM
  • MS statement is to upgrade backend first, then sequencer, then client (always, with any hotfix/SPs from Appv).
    I have not tested it myself, but it will probably work as long as you don't use any features the new backend is giving you (using dynamic connectiongroups for instance, which is actually a SP3 feature). 

Thursday, September 10, 2015 5:06 PM

I would normally agree with that, but when I upgraded to 5.1, I noticed their stance has changed.  If you check out this page, it says that you can upgrade the components in any order.

Before my upgrade to 5.1 was complete, I had 5.1 clients talking to 5.0 servers and everything was fine.  I also tested upgrading the backend first and having 5.0 clients talk to 5.1 servers.  It really didn't seem to make a difference.

Friday, September 11, 2015 12:47 PM
  • Hi Joe,

Friday, September 11, 2015 1:04 PM
  • Hi Joe,

I would have to disagree with that.  I didn't do any direct testing with different versions of windows, but I had multiple clients running Windows 10 ( that were upgraded from Windows 8 ) and they had no problem running 5.0SP3 and talking to 5.0 servers.  

I know that 5.1 adds a target-able operating system for Windows 10, but the default has been to allow the app to run any operating system for a while now (not sure why you would want to limit the scope of your app, but I'm sure there are scenarios that would present that as a necessity).  I guess it's possible that, if you have selected a specific operating system to allow the application run on, it won't know about windows 10 and it could stop it from executing.  But thats really the client and the appv package at that point, and not necessarily the servers...

Friday, September 11, 2015 1:42 PM

• Interesting. I had a case where when trying to sync the app-v publishing server the following error was shown
    "Un-supported client OS passed in: WindowsClient_10.0_x64". I guess then its because of  Hot fix 2 for Appv5 SP3.

Friday, September 11, 2015 5:10 PM
  • could you let us know what exact version of client you were using that supported windows 10 and App-V server 5.0.This would give us an idea what is the case behind.

Friday, September 11, 2015 5:12 PM
  • could you let us know what exact version of client you were using that supported windows 10 and App-V server 5.0.This would give us an idea what is the case behind.

5.0.10107.0, which should be 5.0 SP3.
    Friday, September 11, 2015 6:30 PM
  • So I guess Hotfix 2 for App-V 5.0 SP3 is the reason for not supporting windows 10. Thanks for informing. Will test with App-V 5.0 server and App-V 5.0 SP3 client in windows 10 and its communication. Will revert back soon.

Friday, September 11, 2015 9:23 PM