none
MDT 2013: Wizard Pages by Task Sequence RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I believe what I am trying to do is not possible from previous readings on this forum, BUT then I see something in my MDT 2013 OSD wizard that seems to indicate there might be a way to get it done. So here goes.

For my own demos, I am trying to develop a deployment share that is much like Johan Arwidmark's hydration kit. Some machines, like a domain controller or a SQL cluster are all well-defined: computer names, IP addresses, etc. are fixed and can be set in customsettings.ini or in the Task Sequence with variables. However, I would also like the ability to have to deploy a "generic" machine where I can select roles, applications, etc.

This would require having different wizard pages shown for different task sequences. From what I've read, this may not be possible without developing a custom wizard (and that might be too much effort). However, I currently have two task sequences and depending on which one I select, I see a different number of steps to complete? See screenshots. I don't know what I have currently configured that makes it like that.

When I select Domain Controller 01 task sequence (when I select "Domain Controller 01" task sequence) (Task sequence ID "DC01")

When I select the  (when I select the "generic" task sequence)

Below is my customsettings.ini [the only rules file I have].

[Settings]
    Priority=TaskSequence,Default

[Default]
    _SMSTSORGNAME=Demo Deployment
    OSInstall=Y
    SkipCapture=YES
    SkipAdminPassword=YES
    AdminPassword=P@ssw0rd!
    SkipProductKey=YES
    SkipComputerBackup=YES
    SkipBitLocker=YES
    EventService=http://192.168.232.1:9800

SkipUserData=YES
    SkipTaskSequence=NO
    SkipTimeZone=YES
    SkipBitLocker=YES
    SkipSummary=YES
    SkipFinalSummary=NO
    FinishAction=SHUTDOWN
    SkipLocaleSelection=YES
    HideShell=YES

[DC01]
    _SMSTSORGNAME=DC01 Deployment
    SkipComputerName=YES
    OSDComputerName=DC01
    SkipDomainMembership=YES
    JoinWorkgroup=DEMO
    SkipRoles=YES

I would expect the settings for task sequence "DC01" to be applied after I select that task sequence in the wizard. That doesn't seem to work. The first task in the sequence is a "Gather" task that gathers local data and processes customsettings.ini.

I understand I can't override most settings from [Default] because they would have already been processed but as you can see, that's not what I am actually trying.

I am not opposed to having multiple rules files if that would work. However, it seems like that doesn't make much difference when it comes to actually seeing different wizard steps active. I've tried adding a second customsettings_dc01.ini file and having a Gather step that specifically references that file in the "Initialize" group.

I've considered some alternatives to making it work this way, such as having multiple deployment shares and "linking" them (although I haven't done this before) so I wouldn't have to copy all the applications.

I would also set the computer name and all in the task sequence using variables, but that still doesn't address the problem.

Any insight is appreciated,

SA.

Monday, April 21, 2014 1:07 AM

Answers

All replies

• I honestly haven't tried this since MDT 2013 but take a look at this:

http://blog.mikewalker.me/2013/04/mdt-2012-use-different-settings-per.html

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Monday, April 21, 2014 4:46 AM
  • Frank,

Thanks for the reply.

I found that article previously but didn't try it. I will just to check, although it doesn't appear that this is a solution for quite the same issue: I am not using a different rules file (at this time) and the article specifically addresses a "bug" in MDT that ignores the settings filename.

I'll update here with my findings.

SA.

Monday, April 21, 2014 11:43 AM
  • SpeedBird186 - There are several assumptions going on here.

1. by default MDT processes the CS.ini file *before* the wizard, and *after* the Task sequence has started. If you want CS.ini file to be processed just *after* you select your TS in the wizard, use Johan's trick above.

2. There are about 20 different wizard pages, and they don't appear in *all* scenarios. the wizard framework will attempt to do an intelligent job of filtering out pages that are not relevant to the scenario at hand. For example, in the graphic above, you can see that the OS roles and Features page will appear/disappear. This can happen for example if the task sequence you selected earlier does or does *not* have a "OS Roles and Featrues" step in the Task sequence.

3. For me, the easiest way to process roles would be to create some new "Applications" and to put them in a folder.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Monday, April 21, 2014 6:19 PM
  • Keith,

Thanks for the reply. What exactly are you referring to with "Johan's trick above?"

SA.

Monday, April 21, 2014 6:36 PM
  • Would this work for you?

[Settings]
    Priority=TaskSequence, ByServerType, Default

[ByServerType]
    Subsection=Server-%IsServer%

[Server-True]
    _SMSTSORGNAME=DC01 Deployment
    SkipComputerName=YES
    OSDComputerName=DC01
    SkipDomainMembership=YES