Block list columns RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

How can i block some columns of moss 2007 list, i have this list with fields that i don't want users to change but i have 2 columns that i need that users complete. I need the only the columns selected in the image to be editable.

http://twitpic.com/47x5ws

Regards

Daniel Bustamante

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, March 10, 2011 6:42 AM MOSS 2007 is default
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 10:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Daniel,

Do you want to remove the columns form all the 3 forms (New,Edit,Display) or any one form??

To remove columns from all the 3 forms

1. Go to List settings-> Advanced Settings & Select Yes for Allow Management of content types.
    2. In the list settings page content types of your list will be visible now. Click on the content type name(For custom list it will be item). All the columns you used will be visible there.
    3. Click on the column you want to hide and in the page that opens up, Select Hidden for Column Settings .

To remove columns from any one of the 3 forms

1. Create a custom list form. Check my blog post to see how to do it. http://chanakyajayabalan.wordpress.com/2009/11/27/creating-a-custom-sharepoint-list-form/
    2. After completing step1, if you check the code view in designer, you will be able to see the TR & TD tags for your respective columns of the list. Hide the TR tags which you don't need.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Chanakya
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:51 AM
  • Mind you this is not a recommended scenario.  The way I would probably look at first is creating custom InfoPath / ASPX forms to hide the columns based on permissions / security groups.

Here are some links you can check it out:

Kanwal Khipple | SharePoint Buzz | SharePoint Delivery
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Thursday, March 17, 2011 7:31 AM
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 1:44 PM
  • Hi Chanakya.

I don't want to remove columns i just want that some of them to be blocked to regular users. Only administrators can change any column field. Is there a way to do it?

Thanks

Daniel

Daniel Bustamante
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 2:55 PM
  • Hi Kanwal.

The second link it's sort of less what i'm looking for, but i don't have too much budget; i don't want to hide, i need that all columns to be read-only to regular users and only 2 columns to be writable. Is there a way to do it?

Thanks

Daniel

Daniel Bustamante
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:03 PM
    • Edited by Kanwal KhippleMVP Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:18 PM updated link
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Thursday, March 17, 2011 7:31 AM
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:12 PM
  • Friday, March 11, 2011 3:58 AM
  • Hi Daniel,

To keep this simple and within secure permissions, you want to use SharePoint designer 2007 (free download) with conditional formatting of the list. Please take a look at this useful link for step by step instructions.

http://www.sharepoint911.com/blogs/laura/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=3

hth,

-- techChirag
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 9:33 PM
  • Since no one else responded with this, I'll just throw my 2 cents in.  SharePoint doesn't offer the functionality you're looking for out of the box, you'll basically need to hack or use other trickery to get the perception of what you're looking for - as Kanwal has layed out the options.  The issue is that the lowest level of granularity for security is at the item level, not the field level.  With many of the solutions that are out there, you're simply (or not so simply) hiding the data, though from the SharePoint perspective you still have access to it.  The hacks/solutions that are out there are all variations of hiding the data on the form you're displaying.  You'll need to make sure that every page or view that users have access to are altered to hide the fields you're trying to hide. 

One other option, though it is only a one-way method, is to create a separate list for users to submit information - on only the few fields they have access to, and then a second list that has all the fields and using a workflow to copy data from the first list to the second.  This method kind of stinks for a number of reasons too, but it can work for certain scenarios. 

Wes

SharePoint Consultant | SharePoint MVP | My Blog | Minnesota SharePoint User Grop (MNSPUG)
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Saturday, April 23, 2011 5:52 AM SP 2010 reference removed. These are pre-SP 2010 forums and threads so do not add off-topic SP 2010 information
    Friday, April 22, 2011 10:16 PM