none
DPM 1807: How to backup ESXi VM with multiple hard drives RRS feed

• Question

• I'm protecting an ESXi VM that has two drives. Notice one store is using about 42GB and the other store is using about 500GB.

I appears DPM is only protecting the primary drive with the ~42GB VM drive.  I know this because when I look in DPM I can see how much storage is being used.

Is there a way I can get DPM to also backup the second drive?

Thanks.

• Edited by OESTech Monday, January 7, 2019 5:57 PM
    Monday, January 7, 2019 5:43 PM

Answers

• So it's fixed.  I'm not sure if I did anything or not, but it's protecting both drives.

The only thing I did was turn the old ThinWare vBackup server and ran a backup job.  I didn't want the server to go unprotected so I turned on my old backup solution.  Once it finished the Thinware backup, DPM did a consistancy check and started backing up the other drive.

May have been coincidence too and just need to wait long enough. 

Thanks Leon.
    • Edited by OESTech Thursday, January 10, 2019 8:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by OESTech Monday, January 14, 2019 6:53 PM
    Thursday, January 10, 2019 8:13 PM

All replies

• Hello!

What version of VMware ESXi are you using?

Can you check by modifying the protection group that both drives are checked for the virtual machine?

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Monday, January 7, 2019 6:51 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I'm using ESXi 6.0.  This is what I see if I modify the ESXi Protection group.

• Edited by OESTech Monday, January 7, 2019 10:01 PM
    Monday, January 7, 2019 10:01 PM
  • What type of disks is the problematic VM using? Are you using any RDM passthrough disk?

Are both disks on the same datastore or different datastores?

• Edited by Leon Laude Monday, January 7, 2019 10:37 PM
    Monday, January 7, 2019 10:30 PM
  • Hi.  Yes, you can see there are a few VM on this host.  All of the VMs are using an iSCSI SAN. 

The VM that I'm having issues with is a little different.  I installed this one using an OVA.  When I installed it somehow it installed the OS on the "Local Storage" and the data drive on the LUN I setup for this VM.  I didn't think anything about it at the time as I was completely unfamiliar with this server.

From your response it sounds like DPM detects this when setting up the Protection group?  If so, is there any way I can add a drive manually or does it require DPM detecting it?

Monday, January 7, 2019 11:04 PM
  • If the solution is too involved, I may choose to just rebuild the VM.  The new version of the software has different system requirements compared to when I first installed it four years ago.  So at some point I'll need to reinstall the server on a 1TB LUN if I want to upgrade.

But it would be nice to protect this server in the meantime as I have to wait until summer to rebuild the VM.

Monday, January 7, 2019 11:10 PM
  • It does seem that DPM isn't able to identify the VM's volume on the "local storage", I'm not a VMware expert but I do have experience with it, could it be that the local storage acts as RDM?

Because DPM doesn't support RDM and that would explain why it isn't seeing the volume.

Tuesday, January 8, 2019 7:18 AM
  • So it's fixed.  I'm not sure if I did anything or not, but it's protecting both drives.

The only thing I did was turn the old ThinWare vBackup server and ran a backup job.  I didn't want the server to go unprotected so I turned on my old backup solution.  Once it finished the Thinware backup, DPM did a consistancy check and started backing up the other drive.

May have been coincidence too and just need to wait long enough. 

Thanks Leon.
    • Edited by OESTech Thursday, January 10, 2019 8:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by OESTech Monday, January 14, 2019 6:53 PM
    Thursday, January 10, 2019 8:13 PM
  • I'm glad to hear you have solved your issue!

Always glad to be of any help :-)

Thursday, January 10, 2019 8:22 PM