none
Creating a new Excel Instance for every project created in project server RRS feed

• Question

• I want to make a PDP that makes a new copy of an existaning excel file for every project created.

For example, all of the projects must have an excel file of thier budget so there is a template budget and every project makes its own copy.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 3:41 PM

Answers

All replies

• Why not set this up as a document in the SharePoint template?
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 5:29 PM
  • What do you mean?
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 5:46 PM
  • Thanks, I forgot to change location i would be asking it when making the question. Thanks again for the guidance
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 7:16 PM
  • This is not something I would automate. Rod is right.  It's not specifically Microsoft Project, but closely related and if you ask elsewhere you'll get, perhaps, more "techy" advice.

I'd arrange the the SharePoint admins to dothe following:

: create Excel file that will be the template

: install the template into the team's SharePoint site as a "Content Type"

: add a link to this content type in the Library where you want the documents to go.

Then, when the PM wants to create a new spreadsheet for the project, go to the library, press the New Button, and pick the right "content type".  The computer opens the template file, PM works on it, and when they save it it goes into the right library.  Check out/in and keep improving the spreadsheet after that.  

Make it no more complex than that, IMHO.

--rms www.rmschneider.com
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 2:37 PM