none
Flash not being recognized on all user profiles RRS feed

• Question

• I have a user who has to work in ADP's website. 

when she logs in the page gives her "flash player not installed" message.

flash has been updated multiple times and is up to date. IE11 is up to date.

When I log her out and sign in with other usernames the site works fine.

what settings could have changed that would make the browser think it doesn't have flash installed?

Here is ADP's resolution that doesn't work: http://adpinsightsandsolutionsbulletin.com/Portals/0/News%20Docs/Client_Flash_communicationE.pdf

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 6:53 PM

Answers

• Hi Platon,

Tools>ActiveX Filtering

or

double click on the Blocked content icon (looks like a blue circle with a line through it) to turn ActiveX Filtering on/off for the current site.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Thursday, October 8, 2015 1:34 AM
  • All other windows updates install correctly.

Other users in this scenario report the same thing--all up to date--but when you actually go to look at what is running, e.g. using msinfo32.exe Loaded Modules it often turns out that in fact what is applied makes them woefully behind in their maintenance.  E.g. Help About Update versions link may not be pointing at the current cumulative update KB article or if it is there are discrepancies in the versions being loaded and the versions mentioned in the article.

However, this observation conflicts with the idea that there is just a problem with the user profile. So again, I would be running ProcMon to try to clarify and supplement your symptom description.  E.g. your "generic install error with no specific reasoning" undoubtedly would trace back to something more specific in one of the more detailed logs such as the CBS.log.  ProcMon can help with that too but you have to filter with Operation Is WriteFile and then infer which write is associated with which log record based on timestamp and length (as given in the Details field).

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, October 9, 2015 4:46 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Platon,

Tools>ActiveX Filtering

or

double click on the Blocked content icon (looks like a blue circle with a line through it) to turn ActiveX Filtering on/off for the current site.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Thursday, October 8, 2015 1:34 AM
  • Thank's Rob.

I tried that. i've also rolled IE back to IE10 and when I try to upgrade it back to 11 I get a generic install error with no specific reasoning. 

i've tried upgrading through windows update and the standalone installer.

All other windows updates install correctly. I recently ran the system update readiness tool as well but no luck upgrading IE 10 to IE 11 (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/What-is-the-System-Update-Readiness-Tool)

Thursday, October 8, 2015 4:12 PM
  • When I log her out and sign in with other usernames the site works fine.

So the problem is her profile.  To try to diagnose this I would run ProcMon and trace both cases.  Since you have two cases to compare you could filter coarsely at first, e.g. using Process & Thread events only until you found a divergence that you wanted to analyze.  Then remove the filter and go back to try to understand how it happened.

Or it may even be sufficient to just trace the request from the client that causes that response.  In fact, tracing that first, e.g. using the Developer tools would be a good tactic because then you would know if the message is being sent from the host or generated by the client.  Often when such messages are sent by the host they can be treated with a large measure of scepticism, e.g. they may only represent the host's "something's wrong" indicator, with that message being given as its guess for the most likely reason.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, October 9, 2015 4:32 PM
    Answerer
  • All other windows updates install correctly.

Other users in this scenario report the same thing--all up to date--but when you actually go to look at what is running, e.g. using msinfo32.exe Loaded Modules it often turns out that in fact what is applied makes them woefully behind in their maintenance.  E.g. Help About Update versions link may not be pointing at the current cumulative update KB article or if it is there are discrepancies in the versions being loaded and the versions mentioned in the article.

However, this observation conflicts with the idea that there is just a problem with the user profile. So again, I would be running ProcMon to try to clarify and supplement your symptom description.  E.g. your "generic install error with no specific reasoning" undoubtedly would trace back to something more specific in one of the more detailed logs such as the CBS.log.  ProcMon can help with that too but you have to filter with Operation Is WriteFile and then infer which write is associated with which log record based on timestamp and length (as given in the Details field).

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, October 9, 2015 4:46 PM
    Answerer