none
Matching resources based on skill profile (Project Server 2013 Online and Project Pro 2013) RRS feed

• Question

• Hey gang,

Has anyone seen any reported bugs surronding the resource matching feautre in Project 2013 (On-Line)?

I have done this before, so I know how this works.  In fact, I get different results when I try the Match button in Project Professional 2013 (on premise), versus when I try to use it via Build Team from Enterprise in PWA Project Details.  i.e., when setting up the custom enterprise resource field for matching I have selecting the option to use this field for matching, then I populated my resources' profile with a value accrodingly.

Also noted that I do not see the matching button when using the Build Team from Enterprise for Resource plans, is this normal?

Thanks in advance,

\Spiro Theopoulos PMP, MCITP. Montreal, QC (Canada)

Friday, May 30, 2014 7:57 PM

Answers

• Spiro,

I have a lookup table which text values of "roles". I do not think you can even set up "Match", without a lookup table.

The only things I can think of is 1) Do you have more than one field to set up matching 2)did your "match" field, allow for multiple values to be selected?

Prasanna Adavi,PMP,MCTS,MCITP,MCT TWitter: @prasannaadavi Blog: http://www.prasannaadavi.com

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 7:39 PM

All replies

• Spiro,

I do not ever recall having "Match" functionality in Resource Plans even in earlier versions of Project Server. I think it is the same in 2013 as well.

I will test the other questions, when I get a chance and report back.

Prasanna Adavi,PMP,MCTS,MCITP,MCT http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

Friday, May 30, 2014 8:07 PM
  • Hi,

Just following up to see if you had a chance to test it out.

Thanks in advance,

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 11:16 AM
  • Hi Spiro,

I didn't have a chance to test it. Nevertheless I can confirm that at least for PS2010, the "match" feature was not available for the resource plan "build team". In my point of view, that makes sense since the resource plan is not intended to micro-manage activities but more for planning generic skills demand.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 12:29 PM
  • I am aware that version 2010 works, I am interested in 2013 On-Line.  Project Server 2013 On-line, and Professional  is the ones that I am experiencing issues with.

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 2:13 PM
  • Spiro,

I just tested this with Project Online, and Project professional 2013 Desktop (not Project Pro for Office 365). 

I did not see any discrepancy in "match" values. Tested quite a few scenarios.

Also, like I said above, the Resource Plan page does not have any match functionality (never had).

Prasanna Adavi,PMP,MCTS,MCITP,MCT TWitter: @prasannaadavi Blog: http://www.prasannaadavi.com

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 6:25 PM
  • Hi Sprio,

I know that you are aware and that your concern is about PS2013 and not 2010.

I was just saying as per your question that it is normal that the "match" button is not available in the resource plan team creation. It is not and has never been there on purpose.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 7:09 PM
  • yes, I am aware.  Thanks.

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 7:11 PM
  • Can i ask you to take me through how you did it?  Because as you know in my case it did not work.  And on top of that, it gives me a different result in Professional which is really weird because it should, I assume, at least give me the same result even if it was wrong.  What type of resource field did you use for matching? Lookup table, or text ?  I used text.

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 7:15 PM
  • Spiro,

I have a lookup table which text values of "roles". I do not think you can even set up "Match", without a lookup table.

The only things I can think of is 1) Do you have more than one field to set up matching 2)did your "match" field, allow for multiple values to be selected?

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 7:39 PM
  • You can definitely match from Project Online using PWA. The thing to remember is to configure the right field for the matching. If you go to settings, and check your columns that you are using for role - you'll see a checkbox for "use this column for resource matching". check that and try again.
    Thursday, January 15, 2015 6:19 PM
  • I think the issue was answered... I was not using lookup tables for roles in question.

Thanks just the same.

Monday, January 19, 2015 10:39 PM
  • Hello Prasanna,

I suspect it is possible to match more than one field, but I'm not able to determine if this works. I have Team, Skill, and Region enterprise custom fields all marked for "Use this field for matching generic resources". I'm trying to determine if and how the match occurs. For example, if Resource 1 is on Team A, Skill = Database, Region = Northeast what matches would occur? Does the matching resource have to match all fields or any?

My observation is that a region match is insufficient for any discrimination. If Resource 2 has non-matching values for Team or Skill, no match overall. If Resource 2 has null entries for Team or Skills, all resources match, regardless of region.

Thanks,

Joel

WashDC

Saturday, December 12, 2015 10:00 PM