Can't create a new document from Excel 2010 template in MOSS 2007 document library RRS feed

• Question

• I created a new document library in a MOSS 2007 SP2 environment and set the default document type as an Excel spreadsheet (template.xls does exist in the doc lib's Forms folder).

I have a user running XP, IE 7 and Office 2007. When he clicks on the New button to create a new document from the template everything works fine.

I have another user running XP, IE 8 and Office 2007. When he clicks on the New button to create a new document from the template everything works fine.

I have another user running XP, IE 8 and Office 2010. When she clicks on the New button to create a new document from the template everything works fine.

I am running Windows 7, IE 8 and Office 2010 and when I click on the New button to create a new document I get an error message saying "The document could not be created. The required application may not be installed properly or the template can not be opened. ...".

What does open is a version of the spreadsheet in NotePad. When I save it locally and try to open it Excel does not like it, saying it is corrupted. Since my 'good user' (see above) can open a new document I don't think it is a problem with the template. When I try to edit the template from the Advanced Settings the Edit Template link does not work at all when I left click on it. The only way I can edit the template is to right-click on the link and select Open, which causes a download of the template file to me locally where it is opened successfully in Excel 2010.

I do not have any problems when I select a Word 2010 document as the default document type.

It would appear the culprit is Windows 7. Anyone have any ideas?

Thursday, February 17, 2011 10:00 PM

Answers

• Hi KABay,

According to your description about your issue, it is most likely caused due to the Owssupp.dll file is not registered correctly in Microsoft Windows. You can suggest the user to register the Owssupp.dll file according to the following KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833714.

Thanks & Regards,

Peng Lei

• Marked as answer by KABay Friday, February 18, 2011 4:13 PM
    Friday, February 18, 2011 9:29 AM

All replies

• Hi KABay,

According to your description about your issue, it is most likely caused due to the Owssupp.dll file is not registered correctly in Microsoft Windows. You can suggest the user to register the Owssupp.dll file according to the following KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833714.

Thanks & Regards,

Peng Lei

• Marked as answer by KABay Friday, February 18, 2011 4:13 PM
    Friday, February 18, 2011 9:29 AM
  • Thanks. The KB article did the trick. It does not directly address Office 2010 but I did a repair of Office (Method 4) rather than digging around for the appropriate version of Owssupp.dll and re-registering it directly (Method 3).  I wasn't sure if re-registering the DLL was something that repairing Office would fix. But if whatever broke the functionality may have broken other stuff too I wanted to go for the broad 'repair' approach first. Since things now work I disn't have to fall back on the re-register.
    Friday, February 18, 2011 4:22 PM