WSUS - weird update from 2016 appeared on the servers RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

This month for some unknown reason wsus the following updates to our servers. The last one is dated back in 2016...

KB4556798
    KB4556401
    KB4556846
    KB4556853
    KB4556405
    KB3172729

I tried to a vm to install them all. What happened? The vm normally restarted, it showed a message saying something 'reverting back updates' and when i logged on all the updates were there to be installed.

Any ideas?

Monday, May 18, 2020 3:03 PM

All replies

• Hi George,

Regards of the day. Thanks for your posting.

Please consider checking which updates you mentioned above have been installed by the client. Please refer to the following picture to check:

Here is a link about KB4556798 update for your reference:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4556798/cumulative-security-update-for-internet-explorer

Please note that if you install KB4556798(Cumulative Security Update) in your client, there is no need to install KB4556846(Security Monthly Quality Rollup) and KB4556405(Security Only Update). There's an alternative relationship between them.

If you have any updates about this issue, please keep us in touch.

Regards,
    Rita  

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 19, 2020 1:58 AM
  • Hi George,

It seems there is no update for a couple of days. May we know the current status of the problem? Is there any other assistance we can provide?

If you have any questions, please keep us in touch.

Regards,
    Rita

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 21, 2020 7:55 AM
  • Hello Rita,

What i did so far:

i temporary hide the update KB3172729 dated from 2016.

Then i select all the updates and installed them. This is a picture from windows updates of the server

Then i closed control panel. I opened it again , and went directly to windows updates... guess what:

WWhat is going on.... :/

Thursday, May 21, 2020 10:58 AM
  •   

Hi George,

Thanks for yor posting.

i temporary hide the update KB3172729 dated from 2016.

Please consider telling us why the above update not installed. Update revert back may be because the necessary updates are not installed.

Please note Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1 and Windows Server all future security and non-security updates 2012 R2 will need to install update 2919355.

Reference link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3172729/ms16-100-description-of-the-security-update-for-secure-boot-august-9-2

If you have any updates about this issue, please keep us in touch.

Regards,
    Rita

Friday, May 22, 2020 2:53 AM