none
GPO killing live tiles - live tiles are off and do not show and are not availalbe

Question

• this is perplexing and I do not understand it

When this GPO is linked to an OU, when it builds in that OU it builds w/o the store, w/o any live tiles and or store programs(calculator, news, etc).  When I link this PC to an already built computer - it does not remove these features.  When I disable this GPO, and build a PC, the PC gets all of the store apps and live tiles

what in the heck part of  this GPO is causing this havoc?!!?!!?

pictures of GPOs attached

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 5:13 PM

Answers

• So here is what I found - it was two policies, which made it harder to find.

If my store GPO was disabled, it would kill all of the live tiles (makes sense, but it only affected new builds - if I applied this to an already built device, it would not kill them)

Cloud content GPO, windows tips and consumer experience turned off would also break the live tiles :(

but again, only while building a PC

• Marked as answer by Rderenzy Tuesday, March 28, 2017 5:19 PM
    Tuesday, March 28, 2017 5:19 PM

All replies

• So in my experience the store programs like calculator and such are not actually downloaded during the build so if you do a fresh build and then try to launch them for the first time they actually download. Rather than disabling all of them with a GPO you should simply remove the ones you don't wish to appear. I know that Candy Crush is one such application I have seen and we had to build it into the task sequence to remove it each time after the deployment. No clue why the Windows groups decided to go this route with basic utility applications.
    Tuesday, March 14, 2017 5:38 PM
  • I understand that - BUT I'm not disabling any programs via GPO (or atleast not trying to)

Right now, one of those lines above is killing all live tiles, store apps, etc - but I can't figure out which one and none of them make sense

how do I know its one of those lines? because when that full policy is disabled this does not happen

so hence my question - which ones of the GPO lines listed is affecting my live tiles, stores, etc

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 5:46 PM
  • Go to Local Computer Policy User Configuration Administrative Templates Start Menu and Taskbar Notifications.

Check if you have enabled GPO: Turn off tile notifications.

If you have enabled this GPO, Windows 10 Live Tiles will be disabled.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 6:47 AM
  • great reply - as you can see in the picture it is NOT listed as a GPO (I know 100% its coming from that GPO)

BUT! turn off tile notifications was once part of that GPO, I did have it enabled. I figured that was the case, but Since then I have moved it back to "not configured", which you would think would solve this issue.

:(

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 1:43 PM
  • going to start cutting GPO lines one by one now - the problem I have is its only when building. If I apply this policy to a machine post build, the tiles never remove - weird

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 3:51 PM
  • So here is what I found - it was two policies, which made it harder to find.

If my store GPO was disabled, it would kill all of the live tiles (makes sense, but it only affected new builds - if I applied this to an already built device, it would not kill them)

Cloud content GPO, windows tips and consumer experience turned off would also break the live tiles :(

but again, only while building a PC

• Marked as answer by Rderenzy Tuesday, March 28, 2017 5:19 PM
    Tuesday, March 28, 2017 5:19 PM