none
SSAS for Project Server 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

I am going to install Project Server 2013 in my SharePoint 2013 environment.  In order to use the reporting capabilities within Project Server 2013, I need to have SSAS configured on my SQL Server 2012. However, which SSAS mode should I select when installing SSAS: Tabular or Multidimensional?  Can I use the PowerPivot instance as the SSAS for Project Server 2013? Is that even possible and/or recommended?

Thanks!

Thursday, July 11, 2013 10:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As I understand it if you want to use PowerPivot you need a SSAS Instance that is configured as Tabular. There is a but however because it is my understanding (anyone correct me if I am wrong) you need multidimensional mode to build the standard cube. Thus to configure both option you need to have two instances of SSAS. I hope anyone can clarify this a bit more I have also been looking for more info about the subject but the information is a bit lacking.

With Kind Regards,

Robin Kruithof

Technical Consultant EPM

Monday, July 15, 2013 7:27 AM
  • Hi Robin,

Thanks for your reply. I agree with you, there is no very detailed information about this.

I was thinking the same you were saying. If Project Server 2013 builds its own standard cubes for the reporting capabilities, then it makes me believe that an instance of SSAS should be deployed as Multidimensional.  I was wondering if someone has tried to associate Project Server 2013 with a SSAS instance in Tabular mode and if they have tried to use PoweView with it.

Thanks again!

Antonio Segovia

Friday, July 19, 2013 12:29 AM
  • I agree with you there is certainly a lack of guidance on this at least on the SharePoint and Project Server documentations.

In the Project Server documentation, all that is mentioned is that SSAS is required for OLAP capabilities of Project Servers. (ref: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee662108.aspx)

If you are using SQL Server 2012 Standard, then you only have one option: "Multidimensional and Data Mining Mode"

• Edited by Hossein Aa Wednesday, November 6, 2013 7:26 PM
    Wednesday, November 6, 2013 7:21 PM
  • Hi Antonio,

Did you get success? I came across the same issue. But here I got two SSAS instances, one is traditional & one is powerpivot tabular, my Project Server 2013 report opening very fine, but while filtering or refreshing the report ending up error..

The data connection uses Windows Authentication and user credentials could not be delegated. The following connections failed to refresh:

Then I started Claims to Windows Token Service but no use.

Surly there is no enough information on SSAS installation for Project Server whether we have to go for PowerPivot or Traditional SSAS installation.

For Traditional SSAS installation, we cannot view reports in browser.

any help appreciated.

Veera

VK

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 2:22 PM
  • From scratch the reason for the tabular development seems could be like this:"Tabular modeling provides a readily accessible modeling experience with capabilities that will satisfy most reporting and analysis needs. Most users are familiar with working with tables and relationships and quickly learn to implement business logic using the Excel-like DAX language. The ease of use and simplified and flexible modeling provided by the tabular experience means that solutions can be developed quickly"

Choosing a Tabular or Multidimensional Modeling Experience in SQL Server 2012 Analysis Services

But as far as the built in SSAS multidimensional databases contain predefined, managed (with restrictions) by users in PWA, Project Server models (for tabular a user should still build it) it seems to be reasonable for analytics (power view, excel pivot tables) use the cubes. For reporting (SSRS) sql and multidimensional variants also seems to be the reasonable variants.

Tabular model investments here could be reasonable in a case of plans of massive analytical development which is not covered by built in extensibility. But again it seems to be more reasonable to invest in multidimensional development here (bult in cubes, additionally to PWA management, can be extended using the native ssas multidimensional modelling, some question should be solved during this extensions but it works, you can add data from other datasources to the cubes) according to mentioned article:

"Multidimensional modeling provides extensive capabilities to help you manage your most complex and largest-scale BI challenges. The multidimensional data model combined with MDX provides out-of-the-box functionality so that you can create sophisticated models and implement complex business logic. On-disk data storage, precalculated aggregates, and in-memory caching enable multidimensional models to grow to multi-terabyte scale and provide fast query response. With cell-level security you can satisfy rigorous security requirements. "

Sergey Vdovin

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 4:01 PM