Launching a PDF document on Launch RRS feed

• Question

• Still newish to using scripts in OSDs but I want to launch a PDF document when a sequenced application launches i.e. a temporary message to the end user about the application with a view to remove it after 30 days. Adobe Reader is physciallyl installed on the server (C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe). The actual PDF document will be hosted locally on the server e.g. C:\welcome.pdf. Thanks in advance.
    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 3:20 PM

All replies

• Hello,

See the OSD-reference,

http://www.tmurgent.com/osd_illustrated.aspx

See howto run scripts documentation;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939085

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 3:31 PM
  • Thank you, had seen both articles and after hours of getting nowhere, decided the forum was the route.
    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 3:34 PM
  • Hello,

What are the problems you are experiencing? The articles are very detailed in howto utilize scripting - so everything one needs to know are explained in there

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 3:47 PM
  • Yes, the articles are detailed but my issue is the correct syntax. The examples given are not relevant to my scenario. Issue is how to call AcroRd32.exe and tell it to launch the welcome.pdf from a local drive.
    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 4:09 PM
  • Hello,

Any article will never perfectly suite your specific situation - they are great examples however that can be adapted to your needs.

If removing the app-v part of your problem - how would you write a bat-file to perform this action?

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 4:41 PM
  • Thank you for your replies so far. We cannot consider the use of a batch file due to the number of servers/users. The action has to be performed when the application is launched. I'll continue to work on the solution from the articles I've read and examples edited for my needs.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 10:48 AM
  • Hello,
    The intent of writing a bat-file was not to use it in production - but simply that you could illustrate how you would resolve this without App-V and allow me to understand what you are striving towards here. Thats why I suggested to stop focusing on the App-V part of the problem.

A bat-file and its content and concepts can often easily be transferred into the scripting language of the OSD-file - and is infact used for many of the examples.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 11:46 AM