Dirty environment found on brand new machines RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm doing a deployment purely from USB onto a brand new machine and after the first reboot following the OS installing I get an error about dirty enviroment found. The google results all point to this being due to files left over from a previous deployment but this is happening to brand new machines.

The USB drive is the first boot device and I'm trying to install Windows 8.1 using MDT 2013.

If I dont make the USB first boot device, after the OS install it just boots into Windows and fails to carry on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Chris

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 3:52 AM

Answers

• I'm not 100% sure about what the problem is from your question.

However, as a general rule of thumb... you should never make the USB device the 1st boot device in the BIOS of a computer (For security reasons and others), instead most (good) BIOS/Firmware makers supply the ability to temporarily boot to any device. For my Dell and HP devices, I press F9, for Lenovo I press the blue THinkVantage button, for my ASUS Motherboard devices, I enter the BIOS via "DEL" and select the boot device there.

IF you change the boot order in MDT, and reboot without changing the boot order back, the BIOS will boot back into WinPE, instead of booting into the OS.

If you are still having problems, remove all the \_SMS* and \MININT folders from the machine and restart.

If you are still having problems, copy the newest bdd.log file from the machine (search everywhere), and copy to a public site like SkyDrive, and share the link.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 8:00 PM

All replies

• I'm not 100% sure about what the problem is from your question.

However, as a general rule of thumb... you should never make the USB device the 1st boot device in the BIOS of a computer (For security reasons and others), instead most (good) BIOS/Firmware makers supply the ability to temporarily boot to any device. For my Dell and HP devices, I press F9, for Lenovo I press the blue THinkVantage button, for my ASUS Motherboard devices, I enter the BIOS via "DEL" and select the boot device there.

IF you change the boot order in MDT, and reboot without changing the boot order back, the BIOS will boot back into WinPE, instead of booting into the OS.

If you are still having problems, remove all the \_SMS* and \MININT folders from the machine and restart.

If you are still having problems, copy the newest bdd.log file from the machine (search everywhere), and copy to a public site like SkyDrive, and share the link.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 8:00 PM
  • Did you ever get this resolved Chris? I've seen these issues on Lenovo hardware, but never on Dell, HP or Toshiba.
    Tuesday, June 28, 2016 3:20 PM