Problem when creating a custom content type from a word document template. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am facing an issue while creating a custom content type from a word document template. I use this document template to create new documents via the 'New Document' button. For some reason even after the document is created, it keeps a link to the document template. So if i copy the document locally or send it to someone else, they get a pop-up box for authentication to the server. And the reason the document is trying to connect to the server is to connect to the .dotx file. This is happening for every custom content types created from different document templates. I can hit cancel on this auth box and it goes away, however I can't ask my clients to do this every time i send them a document.

Thanks,

Vivek

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, June 1, 2011 7:24 PM Title amended from more general text.
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, June 1, 2011 7:25 PM admin q (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 6:58 PM

Answers

• Hi  Vivek,

I understand that you copy a document and send them to other users ,there will be an authentication box .

I had a test as what you said .And the result is the same as yours .It is by design .When you open the document on your local computer ,you will find a semitransparent file using the name of the document template . When you send the user the document  ,they don’t have the template document  ,so the authentication box appears .

You can avoid this kind of authentication box by using a common document as the template for the content type ,that means use a .doc or .docx file instead of a .dotx file as the template for the content type  .

If there is anything unclear ,please feel free to ask .

Thanks ,

Regards, Rock Wang Microsoft Online Community Support
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 10:39 AM

All replies

• Hi  Vivek,

I understand that you copy a document and send them to other users ,there will be an authentication box .

I had a test as what you said .And the result is the same as yours .It is by design .When you open the document on your local computer ,you will find a semitransparent file using the name of the document template . When you send the user the document  ,they don’t have the template document  ,so the authentication box appears .

You can avoid this kind of authentication box by using a common document as the template for the content type ,that means use a .doc or .docx file instead of a .dotx file as the template for the content type  .

If there is anything unclear ,please feel free to ask .

Thanks ,

Regards, Rock Wang Microsoft Online Community Support
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 10:39 AM
  • Thanks that worked. It is kind of unintuitive.

-Vivek

Friday, June 3, 2011 6:52 PM