replace icon of published appv app RRS feed

• Question

• I need to change the icon of the appv package published to RDS that is published to users as RemoteApp.

Would it be appropriate to change the icon on RDS itself?

How to proceed with the icon replacement on AppV server? (APPV5 SP2 HF5).

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

• Edited by pob579 Tuesday, October 14, 2014 9:26 PM
    Friday, October 10, 2014 8:26 PM

Answers

• You should be able to change the icon in the properties of the RemoteApp, just as you would do for a locally installed application. It's been a while since I published one however so cannot say for sure - have you tried to do it yet?

• Edited by Dan Gough Tuesday, October 14, 2014 8:53 PM
    • Proposed as answer by znack Saturday, October 18, 2014 8:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_MartinModerator Thursday, November 6, 2014 4:02 PM
    Tuesday, October 14, 2014 8:52 PM

All replies

• If the new icon does not make part op the App-V package, you need to create an update... Open package on the sequence, edit the package, add the icon, and make the modification on the shortcut.
    If the icon is installed in the local system or, is already in your package, you can use the deployment or userconfig.xml to change the target.
    Friday, October 10, 2014 10:21 PM
  • Just to be sure...

> If the new icon does not make part op the App-V package, you need to create an update... Open package on the sequence, edit the package, add the icon, and make the modification on the shortcut.

This guide is clear in terms of how to do. Would the icon changed on the target after editing ?

or I have to unpublish/publish it or just proceed with your part 2

> If the icon is installed in the local system or, is already in your package, you can use the deployment or userconfig.xml to change the target

when you say in the local system, do you mean TARGET local system.

The appv app published to RDS. Can I just replace it. Let say. In properties of the icon, change the icon?

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Friday, October 10, 2014 10:38 PM
  • You should be able to change the icon in the properties of the RemoteApp, just as you would do for a locally installed application. It's been a while since I published one however so cannot say for sure - have you tried to do it yet?

• Edited by Dan Gough Tuesday, October 14, 2014 8:53 PM
    • Proposed as answer by znack Saturday, October 18, 2014 8:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_MartinModerator Thursday, November 6, 2014 4:02 PM
    Tuesday, October 14, 2014 8:52 PM
  • was busy today...

will try tomorrow.

Basically my main scenario for this app is publishing it to the RDS and then I push it by RemoteApp.

This works fine. Now the shortcut(icon) delivered to users  must be changed.

There may be a need later on to deliver Appv package straight to the client machine that have already some virtual apps. So I will try both things.

I just received .ico file. So will update after trying.

Thx.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 9:26 PM
  • Dan you are right...

1. I changed the icon of the published Appv app on RDS

2. There is no way to change the icon of published App.

So I unpublished it. And published again with newly available icon.

It works great for new profiles on the client machine.

The only "side effect" is on previously accessed profiles. The app is accessible but the icon doesn't change to a new one.

Looks like it is cached somewhere...

Not big deal. I am using 5 test accounts before placing in Prod.

Friday, October 17, 2014 2:54 PM