Opening My Documents takes over 10 seconds. RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Ultimate 64 bit all patched and updated on an Agility 3 128gig SSD with AHCI, and My documents on a 2tb SATA3 7200rpm hard disk.  My documents is 70gb+.  A check of the Indexing Service via Computer Management shows NO Catalog, yet when checking via Control Panel Indexing Options there is a little counter ticking off "items indexed".  A look in the default C:\ProgramData\Microsoft folder shows NO sign of an indexing catalog file.  Folder options are set to, Unchecked Hide protected operating system files, Unchecked Hide extensions for known file types, Checked Show hidden files, folders, and drives.  This is a month old install on the SSD, and My Documents has never responded crisply. Ran System File checker, no help.  My original project was to move the Indexing Catalog into a RAMDISK to speed up performance.  10 seconds from a right click on Documents/My Documents until the dropdown menu appears with the Open choice, and then a quick display of the Folder contents.  Double clicking My Documents gives me a menu of the Folder in the same 10 seconds.
    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 10:36 PM

Answers

• Did a complete disk reimage.  Tried a few other work arounds like placing a Shortcut to My Documents on the Desktop, in Internet Explorer and as Toolbars at the bottom of the Desktop.  ALL of the other links display the folder content instantly.  Perhaps its because the Start Menu has everything being displayed as a Menu and not a Link? BRB.....

The reason for the latency in displaying Folder Contents via the Start Menu was attributable to its being displayed as a Menu instead of a Link, which is what is used via, My Computer, a Toolbar or Desktop Shortcut.

So why are the contents of a Start Menu Dropdown Menu so slow to display, when Folder contents display instantly from a Link?  It seems to be, as was suggested in Ty's previous posts, that the My Documents Dropdown Menu contents are created from the data structure of the Folder contents each time the Menu is opened.  Perhaps there is a  description of the My Document Folder contents that is available for display in an Explorer instance and stored in RAM somewhere, or available for display from some already created data structure within the Master File Table?  Your not gonna find this one in Tweek UI...LOL!

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Wednesday, April 3, 2013 7:33 AM
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 1:54 AM

All replies

• 70GB of my docs are going to open slowly because you have MANY files in the folder.  What is the file count?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” How to ask a question that is fixable.

• Proposed as answer by Ty Glander Thursday, March 21, 2013 9:57 PM
    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 11:57 PM
  • Contains: 31,326 Files, 2,789 Folders. My Music has 1/3 as many and takes about a 1/3 as long.  10 seconds to display a list of files?  Even 3 seconds, seems like something that should be moved to a faster storage medium for faster access.  Is there some Action I haven't taken to get my Indexing Catalog to appear when Computer Management/Indexing Service is opened?

Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:56 AM
  • Indexing doesn't really have anything to do with how quickly things show up. Indexing has to do with how quickly things can be found when searching.  What you are seeing is expected behavior considering the number of files.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” How to ask a question that is fixable.

• Proposed as answer by Ty Glander Thursday, March 21, 2013 9:57 PM
    Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:37 PM
  • Contains: 31,326 Files, 2,789 Folders. My Music has 1/3 as many and takes about a 1/3 as long.  10 seconds to display a list of files?  Even 3 seconds, seems like something that should be moved to a faster storage medium for faster access.  Is there some Action I haven't taken to get my Indexing Catalog to appear when Computer Management/Indexing Service is opened?

I guess I should have clarified... Because these files are on a platter drive and there are so many there isn't really anything you can do to make them display faster.  I suppose you might try and defrag your MFT but, that is dubiously useful.

• Proposed as answer by Ty Glander Thursday, March 21, 2013 9:56 PM
    Tuesday, March 19, 2013 9:45 PM
  • What doesn't make sense to me is the discrepancy in the amount of time required to open the My Documents folder, when accessed via two different routes:

Start(Drive C:)>Documents>My Documents(Drive S:)

The delay is 10 seconds before the folder opens displaying other folders and files.

Start>My Computer>Storage(Drive S:) >My Documents

The My Documents folder opens instantly displaying all of the folders and files.

Perhaps a complete reinstall from a saved Image will stop the difference.

Monday, March 25, 2013 8:56 PM
  • What doesn't make sense to me is the discrepancy in the amount of time required to open the My Documents folder, when accessed via two different routes:

Start(Drive C:)>Documents>My Documents(Drive S:)

The delay is 10 seconds before the folder opens displaying other folders and files.

Start>My Computer>Storage(Drive S:) >My Documents

The My Documents folder opens instantly displaying all of the folders and files.

Perhaps a complete reinstall from a saved Image will stop the difference.

I don't know why it would be have differently based on different routes to get there.

Monday, March 25, 2013 10:34 PM
  • Did a complete disk reimage.  Tried a few other work arounds like placing a Shortcut to My Documents on the Desktop, in Internet Explorer and as Toolbars at the bottom of the Desktop.  ALL of the other links display the folder content instantly.  Perhaps its because the Start Menu has everything being displayed as a Menu and not a Link? BRB.....

The reason for the latency in displaying Folder Contents via the Start Menu was attributable to its being displayed as a Menu instead of a Link, which is what is used via, My Computer, a Toolbar or Desktop Shortcut.

So why are the contents of a Start Menu Dropdown Menu so slow to display, when Folder contents display instantly from a Link?  It seems to be, as was suggested in Ty's previous posts, that the My Documents Dropdown Menu contents are created from the data structure of the Folder contents each time the Menu is opened.  Perhaps there is a  description of the My Document Folder contents that is available for display in an Explorer instance and stored in RAM somewhere, or available for display from some already created data structure within the Master File Table?  Your not gonna find this one in Tweek UI...LOL!

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Wednesday, April 3, 2013 7:33 AM
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 1:54 AM