Save Protected Baseline in Project Server 2010 does not work RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am working with Project Server 2010, CU Dec 2010 today, but I had detected before installing the CUs.

The Project Managers' group has the Save Protected Baseline option disabled and PMs are associated to Project Managers and Team Members groups, so by definition, they cannot set baselines 0 to 5.

It the Project Manager creates a new project in Project Professional, can set the baseline (0 to 5), save and publish the project.  In the same session (without closing the project) the PM can delete the baseline, set again or set the baselines 0 to 5 again. If he closes the sessin with this project, in the next session the protected baseline session works.

Another option is to get a project in mpp format with baseline set and save in Project Server by a Project Manager. Both ways will bypass the save protected baseline blocking, meaning that there is a security breach.

Curiously I have a call from a customer in mid November of 2010 complaining that PM cannot set baseline (lack of communication). In mid December I have a call from the same customer informing that many PMs are setting baseline bypassing the blocking of protected baseline. In between, only Windows updates were done. The first Cumulative Update test was done only in the end of December.

After that I tested on some of my customers sites and also in my labs, all of them with the same results of falty protected baseline blocking.

In Project Server 2007 if a project had baseline, when the project manager published in the first time in Project Server, it deleted the baseline.

Has anyone detected this?

Best regards, Ricardo Segawa Segawas Projetos Microsoft Partner

This issue continues in the following link that discusses the same subject: Project Manager Premission for Restricting Baseline

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/pt-BR/projserv2010setup/thread/120fdd3e-be94-461f-bf42-01eb3fdd6175

• Changed type R.Segawa Wednesday, March 23, 2011 2:39 PM Issue or bug
    • Edited by R.Segawa Monday, March 28, 2011 11:36 PM Merge threads
    Monday, March 14, 2011 4:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I am working with Project Server 2010, CU Dec 2010 today, but I had detected before installing the CUs.

The Project Managers' group has the Save Protected Baseline option disabled and PMs are associated to Project Managers and Team Members groups, so by definition, they cannot set baselines 0 to 5.

It the Project Manager creates a new project in Project Professional, can set the baseline (0 to 5), save and publish the project.  In the same session (without closing the project) the PM can delete the baseline, set again or set the baselines 0 to 5 again. If he closes the sessin with this project, in the next session the protected baseline session works.

Another option is to get a project in mpp format with baseline set and save in Project Server by a Project Manager. Both ways will bypass the save protected baseline blocking, meaning that there is a security breach.

Curiously I have a call from a customer in mid November of 2010 complaining that PM cannot set baseline (lack of communication). In mid December I have a call from the same customer informing that many PMs are setting baseline bypassing the blocking of protected baseline. In between, only Windows updates were done. The first Cumulative Update test was done only in the end of December.

After that I tested on some of my customers sites and also in my labs, all of them with the same results of falty protected baseline blocking.

In Project Server 2007 if a project had baseline, when the project manager published in the first time in Project Server, it deleted the baseline.

Has anyone detected this?

Best regards, Ricardo Segawa Segawas Projetos Microsoft Partner

This issue continues in the following link that discusses the same subject: Project Manager Premission for Restricting Baseline

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/pt-BR/projserv2010setup/thread/120fdd3e-be94-461f-bf42-01eb3fdd6175

PS.:

The issue was reopened by Benno at the following link:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/pt-BR/projserv2010setup/thread/2a678003-91a8-4a3e-87a0-f2ff33a469ff

Best regards, Ricardo Segawa - Segawas Projetos / Microsoft Partner
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 12:22 PM