Running MSI File in OSD Script RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm trying to run two VC Runtimes (2005 and 2010) on the client before my application is launched. my OSD looks like this:

<DEPENDENCY>

<SCRIPT TIMING="PRE" EVENT="LAUNCH" WAIT="TRUE" PROTECT="False">

<SCRIPTBODY>@echo on \n

c:\\App\\vcredist_x86_2005.msi /quiet \n

c:\\App\\vcredist_x86.msi /quiet \n

</SCRIPTBODY>

</SCRIPT>

</DEPENDENCY>

Apparently something is wrong with my syntax because the launch keeps failing, saying "A SCRIPT element in this OSD file is missing an executable.". The files are definitely there, so i don't understand what the problem is. I also tried using <HREF> instead of <SCRIPTBODY>, same error...

Any suggestions guys? i'm at a loss.

Sunday, June 26, 2011 9:16 AM

Answers

• So it seems the problem is more inherent than i thought.

I just removed every line that refers to the script from my OSD and i keep getting the same error message even though i cleared my cache. 

All attribute values in the SCRIPT element should be in fully uppercase, in your example there's mixed case for PROTECT attribute.

/Kalle

• Proposed as answer by znack Monday, July 4, 2011 7:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Friday, November 16, 2012 11:19 PM
    Monday, July 4, 2011 7:35 PM

All replies

I just removed every line that refers to the script from my OSD and i keep getting the same error message even though i cleared my cache. 

Sunday, June 26, 2011 9:50 AM
  • Hello,

Since noone here can see your error message - is there a chance you can share it with us?

/Znack
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 11:39 AM
  • This approach won't work - first, users will require administrative access to their machines and then will most likely have to acknowledge a UAC prompt or two. Timing will also be an issue and I don't think that the App-V client will wait for the installers to finish before continuing with the launch of the application.

I recommend looking for an alternate means of deploying these dependencies - Group Policy Software Installation may help.

If you want to persist with the script method, you will need to add START /WAIT commands otherwise the two MSI installs will kick off at the same time - the second install will then fail.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 12:37 PM
  • Hi,

Is it something your application requires two versions of VC++ runtime as pre-requisites or any other specific requirement? I have faced issues while including an MSI file to be installed before the application is launched. The case is for the second launch of the same application in the same user session[close the app and launch it again], you might see the MSI file either prompting for repair or by default doing the same if it is silent. I would suggest this is not a good approach if you are using the same MSI installer file for couple of times on the same machine and same user session. My VM is completely crashed when i did this last time.

Let me know your exact requirement[i am confused with two versions of VC++ for the same application], which would be easier to sort out.

Thanks,

Sivatej. 

Sunday, June 26, 2011 3:16 PM

All attribute values in the SCRIPT element should be in fully uppercase, in your example there's mixed case for PROTECT attribute.

/Kalle

• Proposed as answer by znack Monday, July 4, 2011 7:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Friday, November 16, 2012 11:19 PM
    Monday, July 4, 2011 7:35 PM