Change Vista boot resolution? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any way to change the default boot resolution in vista like some flag in some file somewhere where I can specify that I want vista to boot using 1280x720 instead of the default 800x600 or 1024x768?
    Saturday, January 19, 2008 1:13 AM

Answers

•  

No, it's not a problem with a device driver.

No, you can not set the boot time resolution from within the control panel in windows.

The boot time resolution is set by low level video drivers supplied by Microsoft included with the OS. They can not be "updated." They hand off display control to the card manufacturers drivers before windows loads(these drivers work fine). The issue I'm having with the low level drivers is they seem to only use standard VGA when I need a non standard resolution to use HDMI, from what I understand from responses elsewhere you can not specify a resolution for these drivers since they scan and use only standard VGA.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 4:49 PM

All replies

• I guess it's a problem with the device driver.  Try to install the appropriate driver for the Display adapter from the manufacturer website..

Saturday, January 19, 2008 11:35 PM
  • Hi,

I agree with Sribala's input. Please refer to manufacturer to install latest display drive.

Hope it helps.

Monday, January 21, 2008 7:11 AM
  • I'm thinking you can go to Control Panel, Display, then Settings, and click on Advanced if you don't like the resolutions that are listed. 

Monday, January 21, 2008 7:18 AM
  •  

No, it's not a problem with a device driver.

No, you can not set the boot time resolution from within the control panel in windows.

The boot time resolution is set by low level video drivers supplied by Microsoft included with the OS. They can not be "updated." They hand off display control to the card manufacturers drivers before windows loads(these drivers work fine). The issue I'm having with the low level drivers is they seem to only use standard VGA when I need a non standard resolution to use HDMI, from what I understand from responses elsewhere you can not specify a resolution for these drivers since they scan and use only standard VGA.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 4:49 PM