ATI x300 RC1 driver problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a primary 30" Dell screen running on a NVIDIA 7800GS in dual link mode and two 19" screens that "should" be running off an ATI x300 on Vista RC1 (#5600).

The Nvidia is running just fine but I simply can't get the ATI installed. I downloaded the latest drivers from ATI (8.29.100.0, released on 08-25-06) but I just can't get them to work:

Description

Windows was able to successfully install device driver software, but the driver software encountered a problem when it tried to run. The problem code is 43.

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: PnPDeviceProblemCode

Architecture: x86

Hardware Id: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5B60&SUBSYS_201E17AF&REV_00

Setup class GUID: {4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

PnP problem code: 0000002B

Driver name: atikmdag.sys

Driver version: 7.1.1.485

Driver date: 08-26-2006

OS Version: 6.0.5600.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1031

Anyone else having issues with this card?

Thanks,

Tom

Monday, September 4, 2006 7:04 PM

Answers

• Yes, I am having troubles with the Catalyst ATI X800 XT drivers. Also the new update from MS for RC1 for the ATI X800 drivers availble on update causes BSD. I would recommend waiting until new Catalyst drivers come out from ATI.
    Wednesday, September 13, 2006 5:29 PM

All replies

• anyone?
    Thursday, September 7, 2006 8:31 PM
  • I'm having the same issue with my X300. My other card is a Nvidia TNT 2. The Nvidia works fine but the ATI X300 just won't work. It's recognized but regardless if i use the Microsoft drivers or the drivers from ATI it won't work. I'll need to try removing the TNT2 and try booting with the X300 alone.
    Wednesday, September 13, 2006 5:21 PM
  • Yes, I am having troubles with the Catalyst ATI X800 XT drivers. Also the new update from MS for RC1 for the ATI X800 drivers availble on update causes BSD. I would recommend waiting until new Catalyst drivers come out from ATI.
    Wednesday, September 13, 2006 5:29 PM
  • I noticed that this is probably neither a ATI nor Nvidia fault here...

If I swap the cards and use the ATI as primary, the nvidia won't work though the ATI works fine then. It seems to be a problem when 2 cards are hooked up in 2 PCI-E slots.

Thursday, September 14, 2006 9:31 PM
  • i've the same error message (Code 43) with my x800xtPE

i noticed that with single core CPU i've NO PROBLEM (i've tested a A64 3500+)

with my Ati 9000pro i've no problem with both Single and dual core CPU

i'm waiting for solutions :)

Sunday, September 17, 2006 5:24 PM
  • i've the same error message (Code 43) with my x800xtPE

i noticed that with single core CPU i've NO PROBLEM (i've tested a A64 3500+)

with my Ati 9000pro i've no problem with both Single and dual core CPU

i'm waiting for solutions :)

Sunday, September 17, 2006 5:25 PM
  • i have the exact same problem with my mobility x300 in my amilo 1451g laptop (2GHz M cpu).

w8ing for ideas
    Thursday, September 21, 2006 7:32 AM
  • me too .my 9550 can only install the driver for xp.
    Friday, September 22, 2006 4:50 AM
  • Not x300, but 9600 XT here and 8same problem - errror 43,

After looking around and noticing interesting dicussion on neowin I noticed that *{atleast} on my HW config if you switch to

Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC in devicemanager,the driver starts to work.

Now that kills the dual core support so makes me wonder if vista actually has dual core compatibility issues.Anybody elses care to do further research?In xp(64 bit) there was a problem where dep would cause havoc in dualcore mode so that could be a pointer.....

Saturday, September 23, 2006 12:25 PM
  • I've got the same issue with an ATI 9600 XT AGP on a Athlon XP with Via KT400 chipset.

A lot of people experience this issue. I don't know where it's come from but I ask myself if it's not a issue between the CPU to AGP bridge and the graphic card.
    I don't know where report these bugs on MS site but if we are a lot I think we can report this.
    Wednesday, September 27, 2006 4:51 PM
  • ATI 9600XT on KT400 BSOD on boot, swapping video cards to NVIDIA 5200 worked fine. I will be trying the ATI in another machine over the next few days with Beta2 and RC1 to see if there is any difference. Ill report back.....
    Wednesday, September 27, 2006 6:22 PM
  • I just got a very discouraging mail from someone at MS.

It looks like Vista uses WDDM driver model which allows only one of the drivers to run at a time. The only solution is to use 2 cards from the same IHV or to use XDDM drivers (from XP) which lack support for Aero glass, memory virtualization, etc.

I think this is a very big and I don't understand that this remains unadressed.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 7:04 PM
  • I have the same problem with my ATI X300 on my laptop Amilo 1451G also after installed the new drivers from ATI.COM
    Sunday, October 1, 2006 6:24 PM
  • To work around this problem I did the following steps just after the install process ask me to reboot to the first time.
    I booted on the DVD instead of let windows boot on my hard drive and I went to the repair section in which I ran a command prompt.
    In this command prompt I went to c:\windows\system32\DriversStore\...Repository and I deleted the folder named atihal...
    After I reboot and Vista says me the install continue and boot for the first time. The install complete and the BSOD disapear. The ATI card is recognize as a VGA standard card and then I install the ATI drivers but at this time I've got the code 43. In save mode I haven't :/

I tried to switch the ACPI drivers modem as I read on neowin forum but it didn't worked.
    Sunday, October 1, 2006 6:31 PM
  • OK - there is definately some issue here.  I was running RC1 with a Via chipset m/b and ati radeon 9600 - worked fine with aero as well.  Then tried to change network card to one Vista would recognise and on reboot m/b unexpectedly died (transistor melted).  So I changed to a SIS chipset m/b and reinstalled RC1 but now no aero as ati radeon 9600 card isn't recognised.  So changed g/card for another ati card (is radeon but can't remember which one) and card is recognized and ati driver installs correctly.  Switching back to Radeon 9600 still no joy!  ATI don't seem interested - Vista not supported O/S yet so why should they care?
    Thursday, October 19, 2006 8:49 PM
  • I HAVE TWO NVIDA GTX 9800 ANDONE WORKS GOOD AND THE OTHER GIVES ME THAT SAME WARNING - BOTH HAVE THE SAME DRIVER?
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 1:06 AM
  • hi,i have a dell xps 1730m with 2 nvidia 9800m gt in sli.

i started with the same problem as u, then i switched off sli and everything worked fine.

now none of the cards work propoely- displaying error code 43,even after installing the latest drivers

Monday, June 14, 2010 2:11 PM