none
Multiple critical paths RRS feed

• Question

• How can i create a report to show the "% complete" for multiple critical paths?

i have several paths leading to milestones (not the critical path of the project) and it is important to me to see the % complete of the tasks (paths) leading to those milestones.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you :)

Sunday, November 19, 2017 3:13 PM

All replies

• Igor,

I’ve assumed that you’ve used “Task Path” or some other logic tracing method to define the driving path to each milestone (i.e. the Milestone Critical Paths).

Depending on how you have defined your multiple critical paths, there are two approaches (both involving Group-by summaries) for summarizing the percent completes, work percent completes, and other data.

1.        On the odd chance that the multiple critical paths do NOT intersect, then no tasks participate in more than one milestone critical path.  In this case you may have used a single task custom text field to identify which milestone’s critical path each task belongs to, if any.  E.g. Custom field Text1 (“MS-CP”) has values of <blank>, MS1, MS2, MS3, etc.  Apply a view/table that displays the percent complete, then prepare and apply a task group-by specification based on the single custom field (e.g. Text1 above).  The multiple critical paths will be summarized distinctly and all together in one view. 
    2.        In general, multiple critical paths DO intersect, and each task may conceivably participate in more than one milestone critical path.  In this case, you would need to use a unique custom field for each milestone’s critical path.  E.g. Custom fields Flag1 (“CP1”), Flag2 (“CP2”), etc., each with “yes”/”no” values.  You’ll need to prepare a separate group-by specification for each milestone, e.g. Group-by “CP1”, Group-by “CP2”, etc.  Then apply each group-by specification individually to summarize the multiple critical paths one at a time.

Good luck, tom

Sunday, November 19, 2017 4:45 PM